Broadford Sprint Round 6 20 August 2016

Started by Neil Choi, July 06, 2016, 06:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Broadford Sprint Round 6 on 20 August 2016.
Limited places for this fantastic track, it is short but heaps of fun.
EF and SR attached.
Enter early as it will fill out very quickly.

Neil Choi

We could be lucky and stay dry until later in the day but it is going to be damn cold.

Evan Bottcher

Brilliant day out thanks Neil, David, Bruno, all the volunteer officials.  The weather was actually pretty fine all morning, although quite brisk and breezy.  The afternoon got a bit drizzly and cold again, but could have been much worse.  Lots of fun on-track with no serious incidents and a great day out for everyone.

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

The mighty -
Sud
Alfetta GTV

Neil Choi

And more mighties.

Neil Choi

Cropped

Neil Choi

More crops

V AR 164

Very nice pics.

Who is the driver of the 164Q? :o
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Evan Bottcher

"Some say that his tears are adhesive, and that if he caught fire he'd burn for 1000 days. All we know is he's called the Stig."
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Sheldon McIntosh

Brilliant lap Evan.

I shared Evan's car with him, and was confused all day about what lines to take.  Watching that video I'm slapping my forehead and thinking "of course that's what I should have done".  Which is why he beat me by a second.  Bloody brilliant driving, and to get that car into the 10s at Broadford on a very cold track is bloody impressive in my book.

I reckon Broadford is a very difficult track.  Unlike the other tracks we go to, where 9 times out of 10 there is one clear line you should take through a corner, at Broadford there are any number of lines you could take, depending on track conditions and what your car can do.  I always thought Winton was pretty technical, but this track blows it out of the water.  Sandown and Phillip Island are a piece of cake compared to Broadford. 

I was speaking to a very experienced (40 years of track driving) clubman driver on the day, he reckoned this is the best track in Victoria, just because it's so hard to master.  He said "if you come away from this track and say you got 80% of your corners right, you either had the best day of driving in your life, or you're a flat-out liar".  Fair call. 

The 164Q was in my group, so I got to pass him a couple of times.  Was pretty funny watching it wallow around the corners, then rocket off down the straight.  One session he did I got to watch from the outside, it was hilarious; he was basically drifting through the sweeper (running out of brakes and having to turn in too early, then flooring it), it was brilliant.  The driver was drenched in sweat afterwards, but he got to pass an MX5 in a standard 164Q, so I'm sure it was well worth it.

And lastly, thanks to all the volunteers that made the day possible.  Neil, Bruno, David Floyd, Evan, Tony, Mick, all the flag marshalls, and everyone else I've forgotten.  Great day.

V AR 164

Yes what a brave soul he is taking the big boat onto the track haha. Would love to bring mine onto the track someday, it sure would be an experience.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

aggie57

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on August 21, 2016, 08:58:39 PM
Here's my best lap for your entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fioEk2f10UI

Nice video Evan, great to see. Sheldon is right, Broadford is a great track. You're really lucky in Victoria, 4 great tracks and stacks of opportunities to use them.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

And a few more.