Selespeed System Failure On, Car Drives, Gear Number Flashing!

Started by AlfaKay1707, June 26, 2016, 08:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaKay1707

Hi,

My 2005 147 Selespeed System Failure light came up yesterday. The gears do go on, car drives, however, gears don't catch quickly and the gears number flash as i drive (all including R). I did not drive it for a long distance to avoid causing more damage. It was running great till last time I parked it.

BTW, gearbox fluid been leaking ever since I changed over a month ago (dripping tiny spots lately). I wanted to top it up it few days back, but it spilled out fluid so I didn't.  Gearbox speed sensor looks clean from the outside. There's also an tiny engine leak from the oil sump.

Any solution, please?

bazzbazz

Quote from: AlfaKay1707 on June 26, 2016, 08:48:32 AM
BTW, gearbox fluid been leaking ever since I changed over a month ago (dripping tiny spots lately). I wanted to top it up it few days back, but it spilled out fluid so I didn't.  Gearbox speed sensor looks clean from the outside. There's also an tiny engine leak from the oil sump.

Any solution, please?

A/ Can't offer any real advice without a scan with Alfa Diagnostic Software. Is the fluid low in the Selespeed Fluid Reservoir?

B/ As for your gearbox "Spilling out oil", let me guess, as you took the "fill bolt" fluid poured out, meaning the fluid level in the gearbox had increased since it was filled. The ONLY way this can happen is an internal leak in the Selespeed Actuator and the Selespeed Fluid leaks into the gearbox. The leak is usually in the "Back Plate" of the Selespeed Actuator. have you noticed the fluid level in the Selespeed Fluid Reservoir dropping and needing topping up regularly? Hmmm? 

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

AlfaKay1707

Thank you bazzbazz for the reply.

A- I did a Selespeed fluid check. Level "looks" fine (tank not empty).

B- Never had to refill (yet). The back plate, is it serviceable or needs to be replaced?

I read in some forums sensors could be a culprit....?

Mick A

Hi AlfaKay,

Your solution is to take the car to a mechanic and have it fixed by someone who actually knows what they are doing.

Mick.

bazzbazz

As Mick says, without a scan, you will just be chasing your tail. Just make sure who you take it to has the correct diagnostic Alfa Software. Universal software and scanners are just useless in this case.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

AlfaKay1707

Hi,

Well, problem disappeared then reappeared again. It could be the backplate as the car has 111km on it, and wasn't properly maintained by the previous owner (was left to the elements for 2years plus) All sorts of issues come up :)

Thank you gentlemen.