159 - "Drive" mode - is it me?......

Started by Bob Spencer, June 22, 2016, 05:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Spencer

I'm checking out 159's and after having driven manuals, today drove my first 2010 Selespeed 159 JTS 2.2.

I found using the paddles and the stick shift extremely easy and very smooth (real fun, in fact), however, driving in "drive" mode (or what I previously thought of as "automatic") didn't produce the results I had expected. The shift between upwards gears was more "shuddering" than I had imagined. Of course when the seller drove the car, it seemed to go very smoothly.  :'(

Any thoughts appreciated, even if it includes condemnations of my less than fab driving skills.  ;D

Cheers,
Bob.

bazzbazz

I know the shuddering you are referring to and would say it could just need a calibration. The problem with 159 Selespeeds is that they should have a calibration carried out on them every scheduled service but there is nothing written into the servicing routine except check the fluid.

Also people unused to driving Selespeeds have a tendency to "lift their foot" on gear changes like in a manual, which there is no need to as the computer does it automatically. Doing so just confuses the crap out of the computer resulting in less than smooth changes. Sometimes you need to adjust your driving style slightly, as the car should be driven just like one would drive a manual, not an automatic.

I can assure you though the Selespeed unit in the 159s is a far superior unit to the 156/147 units and are in the majority are very reliable. (touch wood) ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Bob Spencer

Ta Baz.
I appreciate that.

Cheers,
Bob.

Quote from: bazzbazz on June 23, 2016, 08:40:28 AM
I know the shuddering you are referring to and would say it could just need a calibration. The problem with 159 Selespeeds is that they should have a calibration carried out on them every scheduled service but there is nothing written into the servicing routine except check the fluid.

Also people unused to driving Selespeeds have a tendency to "lift their foot" on gear changes like in a manual, which there is no need to as the computer does it automatically. Doing so just confuses the crap out of the computer resulting in less than smooth changes. Sometimes you need to adjust your driving style slightly, as the car should be driven just like one would drive a manual, not an automatic.

I can assure you though the Selespeed unit in the 159s is a far superior unit to the 156/147 units and are in the majority are very reliable. (touch wood) ;)

Baz

wturnbull

Quote from: bazzbazz on June 23, 2016, 08:40:28 AM

Baz

Bill Turnbull, Brisbane Australia
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wturnbull

Agree. Seven years driving my 159 selespeed I can not understand why a manual would be preferred. True the selespeed can appear quirky to begin with but when familiarity sets in the responsiveness and overall control makes the 159 a great drive.

Bill Turnbull, Brisbane Australia
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk