Advice Needed To Keep My GTA On The Road

Started by Bobulon, June 13, 2016, 11:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobulon

Just before returning from Melbourne on Wednesday night last week I got rear ended by a ...... in a citroen which also knocked me into the car in front! Car was still driveable and I drove back to Brisbane over the weekend. Damage is basically boot/hatch door, bonnet, both bumpers with the front probly repairable with some plastic welding if replacement not findable.

I purchased the GTA just two weeks before leaving for Melbourne 5 months ago so not familiar with the repair services here. Need some advice on a good repairer that will help me keep the car on the road rather than write it off. Someone willing to work with 2nd hand parts basically. Thanks for any advice!

GTVeloce

So sorry to hear that. The car looked and sounded so good on the high country a couple of months ago too.

Can't really help I'm afraid but wish you all the best in getting it back to looking sharp.

colcol

Where are you looking at getting repaired, Queensland or Victoria?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bobulon

Would have preferred melbourne as I had a good recommendation for a guy there that would have ben perfect but I had to come back home a few days after the prang so now the car and myself are back in Brizzy Colcol

wantok

Chris Lucas and his brother at CL Prestige Restorations in Bowen Hills have done work on my GTA in the past and i was very happy with it so that might be a starting point.

Bobulon

Quote from: wantok on June 13, 2016, 07:08:34 PM
Chris Lucas and his brother at CL Prestige Restorations in Bowen Hills have done work on my GTA in the past and i was very happy with it so that might be a starting point.

Thanks wantok, they look promising will give them a call tomorrow!

Bobulon

Unfortunately CL don't do insurance work anymore  :-\ They recommended a place called Exclusive Auto Centre which I am going to get a quote from on Thursday. They seem legit, dropped in there today and they had a masser, ferrari and a lotus in there getting some work done and the guy I talked to Charlie said they had done a few GTAs last year. They are not fans of Youi though so I seem to have the wrong insurance lol

camwright

If you want your car back within 3 years don't go to exclusives. Try GT Motors at Bowen Hills. They do insurance jobs, won't give it back to you unless it's perfect and Frank is the best spray painter in Brisbane.

Bobulon

Quote from: camwright on June 14, 2016, 08:51:13 PM
If you want your car back within 3 years don't go to exclusives. Try GT Motors at Bowen Hills. They do insurance jobs, won't give it back to you unless it's perfect and Frank is the best spray painter in Brisbane.

GT was recommended to me by Cam at AutoMotion and I was going to check them out before I was told about exclusive. Have you had a bad experience with them? 

Bobulon

Turns out Exclusive won't work with my insurance company so I went to GT Motors and Frank is a top dude. He is happy to work with used parts and I managed to source most of what I need locally which was dam lucky. Still have to jump the biggest hurdle which is a right side Xenon headlight. Those things are impossible to find!!! May have to consider downgrading to standard lights if that's even possible.

pasey25

Quote from: Bobulon on June 18, 2016, 09:17:02 AM
Turns out Exclusive won't work with my insurance company so I went to GT Motors and Frank is a top dude. He is happy to work with used parts and I managed to source most of what I need locally which was dam lucky. Still have to jump the biggest hurdle which is a right side Xenon headlight. Those things are impossible to find!!! May have to consider downgrading to standard lights if that's even possible.

The headlight isn't available from Alfa? If it's an insurance claim, won't they stump for it?
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Bobulon

Quote from: pasey25 on June 18, 2016, 11:10:02 AM

The headlight isn't available from Alfa? If it's an insurance claim, won't they stump for it?

Sadly not, that would be too easy lol. As far as I can tell Alfa havent made any GTA specific parts for years thats why write offs get snapped up at auctions. Something I will have to consider doing if I am going to keep this car, buying a parts car! The reason I am doing the legwork for parts is partly to speed up the process and partly to keep the costs down as far as possible on my repairers quote so the insurance co. is more likely to green light the repairs rather than writing off the car

USNF97

Hi Cam, sent you a PM regarding a transmission tunnel. Sorry for posting here there is no option to reply on the other thread.