BUSSO V6 BALANCE

Started by sportiva, May 10, 2016, 09:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

http://petrolicious.com/the-top-ten-classic-six-cylinders-ever

And finally, #1... the Alfa Romeo Busso V6 –There are engines that were produced for longer or in greater numbers or with better performance. But the Busso (named for designer Mr. Giuseppe Busso) V6, which began development in the early 1970s and has been built in a variety of displacements (we prefer the 2.5L), is simply the most glorious sounding six cylinder ever. You should be so lucky as to drive a car equipped with a Busso V6 just so you can listen to the song when you downshift. It is symphonious and really don't we all just want a car to sing?

Neil Choi

Might have to take my 2 V6's out for a drive sometime.

PI in July could be a good drive, 4.5km at a time.

Darryl

Quote from: Neil Choi on June 01, 2016, 10:28:58 PM

And finally, #1... the Alfa Romeo Busso V6 –There are engines that were produced for longer or in greater numbers or with better performance. But the Busso (named for designer Mr. Giuseppe Busso) V6, which began development in the early 1970s and has been built in a variety of displacements (we prefer the 2.5L), is simply the most glorious sounding six cylinder ever. You should be so lucky as to drive a car equipped with a Busso V6 just so you can listen to the song when you downshift. It is symphonious and really don't we all just want a car to sing?

Nice list, and all deserving except for the Buick 3.8.... Why??? 25 million sheep can't be wrong?

LukeC

I'm coming out of the closet....

I had a VT commodore wagon with a Buick V6 and I have a grudging respect. I bought the car when I was rebuilding/remodelling a house as an owner builder. I ended up keeping the car five odd years. Great towing engine with awesome economy for the capacity. In fact, on the highway it gave better fuel economy than the Forester we also had at the time.

If you revved it over 3500 rpm, it sounded like the rods were going to jump out at you through the firewall. And it developed a water consumption fault in the inlet manifold.... just drive it with the temp light on to the next petrol station a give her a drink. Optional water cooling! Try that with a lot of engines!

Why is the 265 hemi 6 pack not on the list?!?

But agree the Busso reigns supreme!
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

poohbah

I had two 245 hemi valiant wagons and they were brilliant, bulletproof and pulled like a train. Unfortunately, the rest of the cars rotted around them ....

Still, my 71 VG Safari Wagon was a fantastic way to travel from Perth to Melbourne and back, even though I had to replace the diff, radiator and transmission at different points on the trip
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

LukeC

I feel like I have been unfaithful....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdU0T7r5zcQ

That Kugelfischer was the sh*te!
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

The Count

Quote from: Neil Choi on June 01, 2016, 10:28:58 PM

Looked up the list of ten... Some very august company there but so agree on the enjoyment and the song! Every drive in my 90 (2.5 L Busso) is sheer delight, especially that lovely buildup in 3rd year!

john m

Hi Sportiva,
Excellent finish on the engine bay, the only way to do an engine swap.
Thanks for the tip on oil pump priming. Did you use a 90* drill attachment to cut the hole in the glove box?
jm
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

LukeC

Getting the hard to get nut off in the first place on the inside is the biggest challenge. From memory, you can only turn it a 12th at a time with a spanner (blind).

Recently, I changed the booster on my car, the dang thing was stiff virtually all the way along the thread. Took me about 3/4 an hour to undo just that nut.

Grrrr!

Yup: Nice wheels Glenn :)
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Al Campbell

Quote from: LukeC on June 02, 2016, 10:11:07 AM
I'm coming out of the closet....

I had a VT commodore wagon with a Buick V6 and I have a grudging respect. I bought the car when I was rebuilding/remodelling a house as an owner builder. I ended up keeping the car five odd years. Great towing engine with awesome economy for the capacity. In fact, on the highway it gave better fuel economy than the Forester we also had at the time.

If you revved it over 3500 rpm, it sounded like the rods were going to jump out at you through the firewall. And it developed a water consumption fault in the inlet manifold.... just drive it with the temp light on to the next petrol station a give her a drink. Optional water cooling! Try that with a lot of engines!

Why is the 265 hemi 6 pack not on the list?!?

But agree the Busso reigns supreme!

Had a manual VN Wagon. Engine was about the only good thing on it. Great towing & efficient for many hours of country driving.  Aircon was on par with the ALFA 116. Apart from the time I was about to enter a busy roundabout in Torquay and put the clutch in to change down & the engine stalled, killing the power steering. Went from dozy one fingered steering to immovable object running in to the roundabout. Thank god it restarted when I woke from the shock and released the clutch and engine started again.

I'd say it was a good engine but wouldn't rate it as a great one.

That thing made the 116 look top quality.

four90s

Great idea. What did you do at the back of the engine?

I've made little platforms with castors to move mine around, but they do slip on them.

Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

four90s

Like all truly great advances in human history- simple, effective and leaves you muttering "why didn't I think of that".

Love your work.

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)