Tail shaft removal,

Started by drewster71, May 02, 2016, 11:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewster71

Hi all, OK....

Gearbox , exhaust all out.
I have removed 3 bolts from tailshaft connection to engine in bell housing section. But it still doesn't want to come out???
I'm going to remove engine next so want tailshaft out.

So is there more required than the 3 bolts that go through donut to engine?

Regards all Drew
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

Neil Choi

I am sure you have done this, but have you removed the two 13mm nuts holding onto the centre bearing at the cross member, and then drop the centre bearing off the studs.  Then use lever at flywheel to lever off donut from flywheel stud.

LukeC

I have had issues on a few occasions where the front spigot sleeve has rusted/seized onto into the back of the flywheel. Probably caused by no seal or lack of application of grease on assembly.

I found cussing heaps will help you feel better even if it does not make the propshaft come out.

Love the later cars with the removable cross member. Job is so much easier!

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

bowds116

I agree with LukeC, When I remove a prop shaft that's been in position a long time, I drown the coupling in WD 40. Worked for me a few times.  :) 
current : 1980 Alfetta GTV 116 (w/TS running gear)
              2001 156 TS manual
             1998 GTV V6

drewster71

PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

NigelC

Half your luck! I was told to undo the rear as well and take that end off first, taking the driveshaft off from the rear. So far all the relevant bolts are off  but the bloody thing won't come off. Am I doing something wrong or should I use a bit more force?
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust