159 2.4 jtdm with dpf bypass blowing loads of smoke little help please

Started by David durn, April 28, 2016, 09:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David durn

Hi all
Recently my dads alfa started having a few issues with loss of power then took it out one day and it went into limp mode and wouldnt start again once it was turned off. After tinkering with it for a few days and reading huge amounts of info from both australia and the uk i decided to disconect the front of the dpf and it started straight up. So looked up abit more info and obviously these are renouned for blocking up. So i took some advice from what they do in the uk and got a bypass made up the car now runs better that it ever did....... except for the smoke issue. Anyone out there had any experience with this or who could possibly point me in the direction
Thanks for any info

Dave

As the day goes

You'll need a remap too.  The engine is probably trying to do a forced regen.

Who does remaps in your area I don't know.

David durn

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah ive had a look into the remapping side of things and the closest place that will even look at the car is 3-4hrs away and they have said they dont even know if they can do anything with the car untill they plug it in to try. and alot of people in the uk have done the dpf bypass without having to get a remap done. But most likely they have completely different circumstances aswell. Also alot of them have the "multiecuscan" program and just keep using the install new dpf function every few weeks maybe this helps the ecu by thinking the dpf doesnt need regeneration. I am pretty hands on when it comes to mechanics and this car has sent me around the twist with complications in all different directions hahaha but having said that it is such a nice car to look at and fun to drive so i dont mind too much.

ANG156

You need the remap to eliminate the dpf and egr function completely.

For the moment, maybe try some liqui molybdenum clean and boost to help with the smoke. The extent should shou die down after a couple weeks.

How is the smell? It must be strong.

David durn

Yeah i am deffinately keen on getting a remap done asap but just trying to find someone to do the work.
How does the liqui molly stuff work, ive heard about it in the past but havent had to use it before.
And surprisingly the smell isnt too bad in the car or even standing around/behind the car at idle, but my wife followed me last night and said it was strong and thick smoke mainly under heavy acceleration

As the day goes

Liquid Moly imho does reduce smoke better than other additives

David durn

Fair enough will deffinately give it a go atleast untill i can work something out with getting it remapped.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Craig_m67

Don't forget to check for obvious air leaks too, what did you touch last ?

Ie. Split hoses or something not done back up properly.  I had a split upper turbo hose (inter cooler to engine) that I couldn't see unless the hose was squeezed. Symptoms were loss of power and lots of smoke.  Replace them both if you find a split as the lower hose (air cleaner to turbo) tends to accumulate a bit of oil and gunk softening it

Craig
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

David durn

Thanks craig_m67. Very good point maybe it could be a separate issue to dpf bypass contributing to the smoke. Will have to do some close investigation work.

bazzbazz

Quote from: David durn on April 28, 2016, 02:42:29 PM
Also alot of them have the "multiecuscan" program and just keep using the install new dpf function every few weeks maybe this helps the ecu by thinking the dpf doesnt need regeneration.

MES actually HAS a REGENERATION feature for your Vehicle.

Just make sure you are not parked on grass or near ANYTHING even remotely flammable, as things tend to "heat up" while using this feature. ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

David durn

Yeah i downloaded it a few days ago and seen all the great things it will let me do im just waiting for the cable to turn up in the mail now. But unfortunately the regeneration wont help me cause ive removed the dpf already.

Thanks
Dave