2lt gtv 83 gearbox removal

Started by drewster71, April 17, 2016, 04:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewster71

HELP.... ok I have a wreck I have been stripping using bits selling parts not required. Need to remove gearbox. How long should this take and how do I???

Cheers in advance all Drew
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

VeeSix

Disconnect speedometer connection
Disconnect clutch slave cylinder
Disconnect propellar shaft
Disconnect constant velocity joints
Disconnect brake lines
Disconnect from front mounts
Remove rear securing bolt
About 2 hours  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Mick A

four90s

Drew,

I have a spare workshop manual. Pm me and I'll find it for you.

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Mick A

I'll be honest here, if you aren't a competent mechanic, don't do this at home. There is potential if things are done in the wrong order to kill yourself. The car can fall off the stands/hoist. I've already seen others have listed things in the wrong order to do the job safely, such as removing the rear mount bolt before lowering the front etc.  I strongly suggest you have someone who is knowledgeable in this area to assist you with the task. Even if you have the workshop manual, it doesn't replace experience.

That's all from me.

aggie57

I'm with Mick on this one.  It's actually a fairly straightforward job, follow the manual and you generally won't go wrong. BUT the transaxle is bloody heavy, really hard to maneuver around and there's a point in the process where it's coming down come hell or high water.  I'd say it's probably the most physical and dangerous job on these cars. Much more so than extracting the engine.

If you do want to do it and the car is on stands, two people is a great help and don't use those dinky single post stands. Get or use some decent heavy duty ones and be prepared for some cussing and cursing.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

LukeC

I will be performing this exercise and disposing of a 2.5 litre 75 body over the next few days. I will take  few pictures to show the best way to do it without a hoist. Stay tuned....
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Darryl

Looking forward to it Luke. I've been on the sidelines on this one - I've done it before, but I'm 100% sure it was not the best way  :o

drewster71

Quote from: sportiva on April 21, 2016, 04:55:54 PM
drewster71

I take it you want the transaxle out so you can finish stripping the car for it to be taken away. if the car is in a spot where it can be hoisted or dragged onto a flatbed for removal then I suggest you remove the whole rear end the de dion axle and the transaxle and pull the whole unit out from  the back
There are other English and American forums that have a larger pool of alfisti who are only to willing to give the information you need to remove the transaxle 
The transaxle alone weighs 50 kilo's without the clutch so two people is the best option if you need to lift it. If you remove the whole rear end it weighs nearly 100 kilos so use some common sense and dont hurt yourself

cheers

Exactly, I have stands in place , front of car supported. Trolley jack holding gearbox, clutch connected and coming out too. I'm removing complete rear end, dedion aframe, half shafts. Keeping rear wheels on as have read using trolley jack on trans and wheels on it can roll out. I'm basically down to last big bolt at rear holding it on. So I am looking at where do I best jack up body so all the gearbox etc rolls out in attached?
Heaps of help here given. Thank you.
I'm no mechanic. A chef actually lol. But I'm using my best common sense, safety.
And yes a manual. Just manual not really explain to remove whole rear end as I'm doing.

Cheers all, as usual the Alfa family keeps looking out for each other
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

drewster71

Thank you all,
Removed and sitting on trolley, and no injury to oneself..

Your help was wonderful
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

Darryl

Yes - seconded. Removing (and reinstalling) the transaxle *without* the whole de Dion is in my limited experience hard to do. The nice "feature" that the transaxle won't fit through the triangle with the front mounts attached is part of the problem/challenge (and also a lifesaver - take your pick).

LukeC

OK. Big weekend... finished breaking the 75 amongst my wedding anniversary, chores, exercise etc over the weekend. Bit knackered today!

OK, with all the obvious removed (wheels, exhaust, prop shaft and gear linkage) it took me 20 minutes to get the gearbox and De-Dion out from under the car by myself. Admittedly, I took to a few things with a pair of side cutters and used an impact gun where possible. The slowest job was getting the handbrake cable disconnected (some Wally trying to "adjust" the handbrake by just doing up the cable adjuster all the way up).

Special Alfa Romeo tools needed: picco pezzo di legno e lungo pezzo di legno.

Jack the back of the De Dion up to unload the shocks (I usually loosen the rear gearbox mount befoe starting this part).

Remove the sway bay links, lower shock mounts and outer watts links.

Drop the rear of the De Dion to unload the springs.

Pull the springs out sideways.

Place the long piece of wood on the trolley jack across the car under the De Dion at a point where you think it will balance fore and aft.

Jack the De Dion up and place the Small piece of wood in between the De Dion and rear of the gearbox. Keep jacking up until you can tap out the rear gearbox bolt. You should be supporting the whole weight of the DD on the jack.

Undo the 6 bolts at the front gearbox cross member and then lower the jack down.

If you got the balance right, the whole unit will lower sit nicely on the trolley jack and you can wheel out from under the car. Take the weight of the gearbox with an engine crane and unbolt the front mounts etc...

Works for me!
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Darryl

Quote from: LukeC on April 26, 2016, 03:35:20 PM
OK, with all the obvious removed (wheels, exhaust, prop shaft and gear linkage) it took me 20 minutes to get the gearbox and De-Dion out from under the car by myself.

Showoff! Thanks.