conrods for performance engine

Started by branko.gt, June 08, 2006, 03:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branko.gt

There is a thread in the American Alfa BB about a bulk (group) purchase of conrods for 2l engine. Apparently as good as Carrillo but about half the price. The purchase happened earlier this year.
I was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on those and is that such a great deal anyway? Are there enough people interested for a group purchase from here.
If i understand correctly the same rods are used for 1750 and 2000 engines.
Anyone?
Evan, any plans to rebuild the engine on your 1750?
this is the thread : http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=14754

Evan Bottcher

Hi Branko - no at this stage plans are limited to retreiving engine from a shed in preston and the body from a shearing shed on the NSW border.  Beyond that I have no idea - although the motor was very strong last time it ran so no reason to rebuild it immediately.

Good idea though - group purchase could save quite a few $$ - maybe talk to some of the club people who run mechanical businesses (e.g. Bruno Collauti, Hugh Harrison, etc) to see if they are interested.

:-X
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

jimnielsen

Branko, Vin Sharp has a lead on the purchase of high performance (read lightweight and strong...) rods.  He has already purchased some sets for race engines (including a set for my "next" engine.  I believe they are (as you said) Carrillo look-alikes, but a lot cheaper.

You should ask him about them.

*** Note to Vin***  Don't sell Branko my rods.

Jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Paul Newby

OK, don't shout me down in flames here, but what is wrong with balanced and shot-peened standard rods?

I have a set in my race engine which were done by Vin Sharp.

My engine is 1846cc using 11.0 forged pistons and running to 7500rpm. All up they have done five seasons of racing. When Vin pulled the engine done (after three seasons) they checked out fine.

Sure, if money was no object I would fit them, but really the money is best spent on other engine mods....
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

branko.gt

In the end that is what I am going with.
I had few sets to choose from and based on Vin's advice selected medium weights samples. Better still they came from a 2 l automatic.  ;D

Interesting fact I learned in the process was that Alfa apparently did not change the forging tools through the life of the 1.8 l and 2 l nord engines so conrods became progressively thicker and heavier.