Clutch replacement

Started by marktim, February 16, 2016, 10:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktim

I know this has probably been asked a few times but I need to have a look at replacing the thrust bearing in my 1982gtv and would probably do the clutch and pressure plate at the same time, I've been quoted just on $1000 to do this ,I would like to do it myself as I'm a reasonable backyard mech,would anyone recommend me doing it myself or is it better left to the alfa  guys who quoted me,thanks for any help, cheers.

Mick A

Well, since in your other post you were talking about bleeding the clutch to cure a noise in the thrust bearing, I would say you have very little mechanical knowledge.

But I don't know you, I can only go off what I've read in your posts, and what I've read suggests to me you aren't qualified to tackle this particular job.

So, based on the information I have about you,  I would suggest take it to your mechanic.

Mick.

Craig_m67

It's not complicated.

Nothing in these cars is complicated if you have some confidence, instruction, tools, space and time ie. Can you have it up on stands (hoist better) for a few weekends while you leisulry tackle the job and all the bastard bolts and bits that should be easy to undo and remove...but aren't and break and stress you and your loved ones out.

If you have the time and want to learn how to work on your own car there's no better way to do it than to research the method and dive in.

That said, I've never done a transaxle car.. I bet they're a pig :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

How can you give advice about something you've never done?

There are a few tricks to this particular job. Also a certain order and some special tools required.

marktim

I  have rebuilt  Ford and Holden engines and gear boxes in the past and regard my mechanical abilities as satisfactory but have never worked on a transaxle vehicle before that is why I asked about the clutch replacement in regards to the difficulty involved,the reason I asked about bleeding the clutch was not as a way to  fix a thrust bearing on it's way out but read that  being a hydraulic system that the first thing to check was the fluid and cylinder to make sure there was no leaks.I have every confidence in my abilities to do most jobs on this car and welcome advice when genuinely offered and don't need opinions on my mechanical ability, Thanks Mick a for your opinion at least you were positive and not sarcastic,cheers.

Mick A

No worries Mark. Glad you took it the right way.
If you want, send me a PM and I'll give you a run down of what to do.
I am a qualified mechanic and have done this job many, many, many times.

Mick.

marktim

I was all set to have the clutch replaced along with the thrust bearing when I discovered termites in the floor boards of my house, the interesting or weird thing was it cost me about the same to clean up the floor boards and have the house treated as the quote to get the car done so I'm saving my pennies and hopefully will give Sofia a new clutch and thrust bearing soon.

marktim

Thanks for that, It's a shock when you first see the little buggers but it's all done and dusted now, thank god, yeah it's a job I'm tempted to do myself, at my age I'll just have to have a good supply of anti inflammation pills to keep me going 😊. Anyway I hope your Alfa is going well, cheers.

marktim

Well I've bitten the bullet and booked the old girl in for a clutch replacement next Monday i can't stand to have her sitting in the garage and not being able to drive her. I got several quotes and most where around the same price but only one mentioned about machining the flywheel and even said if they didn't they wouldn't warranty the job which is fair enough, I've decided to go with the local alfa guys but I'm waiting to hear back from them about if they are going to machine the flywheel and if not I'll go elsewhere, can't wait to get her done and back on the road.

Mick A

I'm sure all the workshops will have the flywheel machined. It's very inexpensive and we always do it as a matter of course.

marktim

That's the funny thing Mick l quizzed them about machining  the flywheel and they said that they normally don't on the 116 series in case it goes out of balance.
Now I've replaced clutches on older Ford and Holdens and as a matter of procedure always had the disc machined, as I'm new to the 116 alfas do they normally machine them or do they as the mechanic says go out of balance easily, cheers.

Mick A

Actually my mistake sorry. I thought for a minute this was a 156. My apologies.
Flywheel doesn't have to be machined unless you want to lighten it.

Mick A

With 116 series it's important to have the tailshaft in balance as it turns constantly at engine speed.