Trialling Formula 98 in 2016

Started by Neil Choi, January 07, 2016, 12:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

In conjunction with AROCA SA and Andrew Scadding who coined Formula 98, we want to encompass the post 1998 2L series Alfa ie 147, 156, GTV, Spider, GT etc to encourage members to develop a modern Alfa and bring it out for some track driving experience. These Alfa's are now very reasonably priced.  It is aimed to be good cheap fun with an Alfa.  Not a lot of super speed but if you are competing with someone of equivalent Alfa then it doesn't matter how fast you are going.
The Formula 98 Alfa will be basically in standard form with only a few modifications can be made such as driver's seat, safety harness and brake pads.  In standard form, it is still quite a bit of fun.
Have a think about it if you want to join in the fun experience of driving on the track, prepare your Alfa and come out to one of the sprint events and give it a try.  Come up and have a chat with any of the officials.

gtv19

Hell Neil, I had decided to sell my sprint spider due to sore back and was looking to stay involved but with a little more comfort in drive to and from Mallala. Well Peter Axford had this 156 Ti that needed some love and we decided to give it a go. A couple of not so successful sprints with selespeed (go figure) and other issues, but found it a really nice alternative, if a bit quiet. So I coined the Formula 98 idea for the Club and any others to get involved in.Now Andrew has come along and we expect there will be more. Our Comp Ctee has formulated the regs which are available on the AROCA SA website, good luck with it over there. Cheers Laurie
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)

Neil Choi

Thanks Laurie for your input and sorry to have left you off the mention.

I have seen your Formula 98 regulations.  Evan and I have had some thoughts, similar and inline with just a standard Alfa.  The only difference which we thought about was the ability to road register, it being optional. 

Anyway, I too have had various level of success and of course failures (as always with motorsport).  My 156's have all ran well but now needing some attention.

Let me gloat a bit on my 156 (well, Damon's) which was raced in one stint for 1 hr then another stint for 2 continuous hours during our 2015 10 hr relay.

For those interested, scoot on over to the SA site and look up their regs which will be inline with our thoughts currently.

Let's get them out there.

kiwirgv

Hi There, Do you know whether the QLD club also offers this division? I can't seem to find any info on their webpage.
Sounds like great fun to me.

THanks  8)

Neil Choi

Not that I know of, but you can always give them a rev up and suggest the adoption of the idea.

All states tend to operate independently to accommodate their local competition members.

Neil Choi

Any local 156 racers gearing up to come to Sandown on May 7.
I am expecting to get one out there.