Haunted Hills Hillclimb

Started by alfagtv58, June 26, 2008, 11:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Dear Victorian Comp Sec,

Please can we have a hill climb soon!!!

Footage from the Gippsland Car Clubs new and almost completed "Haunted Hills Hilclimb"

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Colin Byrne

That looks like awesome fun! and a bit more interesting than robroy
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Brett

If l remember rightly, the MG club asked the Alfa club to one of their hillclimbs at Morwell about eighteen months ago. Maybe organise an Alfa/ Fiat Challenge!

Jekyll and Hyde

QuoteDear Victorian Comp Sec,

Please can we have a hill climb soon!!!

This video was on the Z car club forums recently, I meant to post it and ask the same thing but forgot about it.  I second the motion!

Fast Eddie

Quote from: Brett on June 26, 2008, 01:30:41 PM
If l remember rightly, the MG club asked the Alfa club to one of their hillclimbs at Morwell about eighteen months ago. Maybe organise an Alfa/ Fiat Challenge!
You are absolutely right about that cos i arranged it with the MGCC for the old Morwell circuit and acted as CAMS steward on the day.
Sadly only one AROCA member competed on the day and that was Colin Goundrey in his RX-7.
Contact Matt Baragwanath@ MGCC and i am sure he will happily arrange for a multi club permit event on one of the days they will have the circuit booked for.

The new circuit looks awesome and will have had some good money spent on it.

Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

It's funny - not many people seem to turn up to hillclimbs.  I must admit i'm not a big fan, cold tires, 40 odd seconds on the track at a time - it's really slow twisty drag racing.......
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

a sharp

Scott in case you didn't notice the lap took 1M30. looks like a goood layout, we have not had a great hillclimb venue since lakeland closed in the early 80's

Frank Musco

I will be going to Haunted Hills Hillclimb on the 24th August. This is an msca meeting. I have not seen the entry form on the msca website yet. The track looks very interesting and I cant wait to smoke the tyres off the line.

Scott Farquharson

Yeah, I was thinking of Morewell.  1 min 30 is a bit better...I like that 2 min 30 track in the 1750 video...
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Davidm1600

I agree it does look like a good track, the car is a 1968 AC Fiat 124 sport owned by Ian Maude from the Victorian Fiat Car Club.  The Fiat has done really well in quite a few of the Rally Tas historic sections over the years.  Have in-car video footage from the 2000-2003 events.  Really great stuff.

As to Scott's comments, well I can't comment since I don't do circuit racing but I can say that in terms of hill climbs, down here in Tassie we in Club Motori Italia run two - three events each year, at different courses, which are always oversuscribed and all competitors thoroughly enjoy them.  We used to try to run track events and could never get sufficient competitors to make it worth while.  From my perspective, and a few others I have discussed this with, including my brother who is a 7 times Targa competitor (and successful in his class) hillclimbs are excellent training for doing rallys such as Targa etc.

You might like to try it out. 

Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Mat Francis

In the mean time, there's a hill climb at Rob Roy being run by the MG car club on the 20th of July. i know it's a pretty short run and all, but i don't doubt it will be fun anyway. It would be great if i'm not the only one driving an Alfa on the day...  ;)
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Frank Musco

Competed at the MSCA meeting on the weekend at Haunted Hills.

Caution!!, Not recomended for the faint hearted. Extremely challenging to say the least. A track suited for cars with very good handling and brakes, without the need for huge amounts of horsepower to be competitive, although it obviously helps.

There are fast off camber corners and blind crests which will take a few runs to find the courage to drive with confidence. One in particular is a fast off camber left hander leading into a blind crest from which the track dissappears into an extremely steep decent which is approached in third gear, fast, then you have to slow the car down, really quickly!!! I'm still shaking from the scare you get when you realise your going too fast.

This place is a must for all hillclimb fans, and those that generally like to scare the living daylights out of themselves.

Cant wait till the next time.

alfagtv58

The VHRR are running there this weekend, if you are interested in entering contact me and I will send you the details.

Actually, you can get the entry details from here.... http://www.vhrr.com/forms.htm

Quote from: Frank Musco on August 25, 2008, 11:05:20 PM
A track suited for cars with very good handling and brakes, without the need for huge amounts of horsepower to be competitive, although it obviously helps.
Sounds like an ideal hillclimb for Alfa's.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Neil Choi

Can anyone let me know of contact for the hire of the hillclimb, anyone knows how it is run.

I guess AROCA Vic would be interested in running one but I have not done one.

Neil