new fiat 124 sport

Started by kartone, November 19, 2015, 04:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

The chat on AlfaBB years ago, was that the next Alfa Spyder was going to be based on the MX5 chassis.
So it seems that the FIAT manglement and marketing teams have decided to reuse another icconic name...............  ::)

As I saw on Leo Parente's facebook page:

"So the Europeans are now trying to duplicate a Japanese car that became a successful icon by simulating a European design.

The irony is very strong with this one."
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

jazig.k

What is that thing built to climb over?

aggie57

To be frank glad it's not an Alfa. Looks, well, odd.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Craig_m67

Quote from: Duk on November 20, 2015, 02:04:51 PM
The chat on AlfaBB years ago, was that the next Alfa Spyder was going to be based on the MX5 chassis.
So it seems that the FIAT manglement and marketing teams have decided to reuse another icconic name...............  ::)

As I saw on Leo Parente's facebook page:

"So the Europeans are now trying to duplicate a Japanese car that became a successful icon by simulating a European design.

The irony is very strong with this one."

It was no secret, the press release is available on both Alfa Romeo and Mazdas corporate websites. Marchionne (Alfa) ditched the idea when he created the Alfa skunk works, hired two Ferrari engineers, handed them 8billion Euro and said go back to first principals, tear up everything you have and be faithful to Alfa's roots.  I imagine the R&D and investment was simply passed (internally within Fiat) from Alfa to Fiat.

Personally I'm not a fan of the current MX-5 design, too angular for me (prefer the originals). The new 124 Spider at least follows the current retro incarnations of actually looking like the original spider if not in a slightly more bulbous way.  I think it looks alright, and I'd prefer the Fiat/Alfa engine over the Mazda skyhook (?) one.

Isnt it Maserati and Porsche who use the Spyder moniker ?

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

aggie57

I'm going to eat my words here.  It looks sooooo much better in the flesh than in print.  In fact I'd go so far as to say it out does the new Miata / MX-5 on looks by quite some margin.  Yes, it sits up and yes it's obviously a retro but it's so low the height is about right and the front and rear end are much cleaner than on the Miata / MX-5.  From the LA Auto Show:
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list