2008 159 2.4lt JTDM cut out, now wont start, fuel pressure issue?

Started by Alfa_dog, August 26, 2015, 02:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa_dog

Hi

My 08 159 2.4lt Diesel JTDM is currently at a workshop and they are having issues with diagnosing the issue. It seems to be fuel pressure related.

History: I was driving on the highway at 100km/h and it suddenly lost power, and ran at 1000rpm until it rolled to a stop while still running with no power. After I got it towed I noticed it started but would cut out and after 5 sec or so. Now it doesn't start at all. The check engine oil light was on for a few weeks beforehand and I had only just put a new battery in it. The oil level was also fine.

The DPF and EGR have been checked and there fuel line and associated bits up to the high pressure fuel pump are fine. It seems to all go wrong around the high pressure fuel pump. I'am told that it is highly unlikely that it is the pump itself as this bosch pump it very reliable and not stocked anywhere. I think the workshop are now looking at the rail and sensors and injectors. I am also guessing other issues with major sensors such as crank and cam would be picked up by the scan tool, which currently show no issues.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have knowledge of potential treatments. It has been at the workshop for a month and I really want to get it back on the road.

Cheers
Ben

Potsie

>Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have knowledge of potential treatments

Not me (i.e. I have not experienced that, and I have no knowledge. Not very helpful I know).

I would have suggested that as 'check engine oil light was on for a few weeks beforehand' perhaps the time to get it to the mechanic was prior to the highway incident - but then hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Mick (Choderboy) may have some thoughts on the issue.
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

stustustu123

Have you checked the fuel cutoff switch under front passenger seat isn't playing up (black button). Might be worth a try...
2007 159 SW 2.4 JTDM
1993 164 Super
Past:
1994 164 Super (Blue)
1992 164Q (Black)
1989 164 (White)
1988 75 3.0 V6
1983 Sud Ti

Craig_m67

Crank sensor?
Used for ignition timing, if it doesn't work engine will turn over but not fire.

Symptoms include dying (dead) when hot but starting for a few seconds when stone cold.
Worth about a dollar, held in with one 6mm Allen screw.

Is usually a binary failure thing so you wouldn't get reduced power.. Just nothing at all

[edit] just read your post properly, will leave the info here for other seekers
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

It does sound like it could be a fuel problem. There isn't a conventional throttle body on these diesels, the way you get a diesel to rev is by adding more fuel. If the required pressure isn't available it will not rev or make power.

Hard to diagnose without seeing the car for myself, but going by what you've described, I would be changing the pressure control valve on the back of the high pressure fuel pump. These little valves work very hard and are the first thing to fail of all the pump's components.

I would also be monitoring the ECU data on the scan tool to help confirm loss of pressure.

Cheers.

Mick.

Alfa_dog

Thanks for all your replies  :)

The issue ended up being a split oil overflow hose that dripped onto a harness below, which lead to exposed wires.
These wires have crossed and have burnt out a connection to the ECU, I think.. Its was the wires for the shuttle valve and the common fuel rail, I believe. The ECU is working but not picking up the sensors via the wires that were exposed.

Now I am trying to chase up a replacement ECU or someone to diagnose and fix my current ECU.

Cheers
Ben

bazzbazz

Alfa, if you haven't already got it repaired, I can diagnose, repair and solve your problems. I run a small, part time, but professional onsite (we come to you) Alfa Romeo Diagnostic business here in Brisbane.

I have PM'ed you my number, give me a call if you like.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au