Fuel economy of 2015 Giulietta QV TCT

Started by Badbull_OZ, September 25, 2015, 10:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badbull_OZ

Hi all. Want some advice/feedback for owners of Alfa Giulietta QV TCT model. I bought a dealer demonstrator last month and it had just over 3000km on the clock.. so after a month with the car I am struggling to hit 500km on a full tank of fuel. I am driving in N mode and pretty much driving speed limit. I am using 98Ron fuel . Is this normal fuel economy out of a tank? It's doing my head in cause I can get more from my Mitsubishi Outlander that is 2.4L capacity. Cheers
Gianni

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Stuart Thomson

Hi Gianni,

There are too many variables left unanswered in your enquiry.  You'll have to give us some more information.  But you have a trip computer in your car, reset it and then drive around for a week or two and see what it says, that's the best way to get your fuel economy.  The listed fuel economy of the vehicle is 7l/100km, which is combined city/country driving and we all know that these figures are deflated (much like VW emissions).  For instance, I typically get 7.8 l/100km out of my Mito, it is listed as 5.6-6.5 l/100km.  So this will depend on many factors including driving style, amount of stop/start traffic etc.

WRT to your Outlander, it's only 124kW vs 177kW for the Giulietta and 220Nm vs 340Nm, you don't get power and torque for nothing you know.

Cheers
Stuart

Badbull_OZ

Quote from: Stuart Thomson on September 26, 2015, 07:01:23 PM
Hi Gianni,

There are too many variables left unanswered in your enquiry.  You'll have to give us some more information.  But you have a trip computer in your car, reset it and then drive around for a week or two and see what it says, that's the best way to get your fuel economy.  The listed fuel economy of the vehicle is 7l/100km, which is combined city/country driving and we all know that these figures are deflated (much like VW emissions).  For instance, I typically get 7.8 l/100km out of my Mito, it is listed as 5.6-6.5 l/100km.  So this will depend on many factors including driving style, amount of stop/start traffic etc.

WRT to your Outlander, it's only 124kW vs 177kW for the Giulietta and 220Nm vs 340Nm, you don't get power and torque for nothing you know.

Cheers
Stuart
Hi Stuart, thanks for writing back, really appreciate it. I took into account what you suggested and I happened to go for my first long drive since buying the car and the fuel economy  was exceptional.. when I set off the tank was at 1/4 full and drove 280 kms and only used 1/4 of fuel . So the small trips and stop start of city driving isn't Alfa QV friendly. The average fuel used per km on the round trip yesterday was 8.5 ltrs per 100kms.
I have this idea that as the engine is 1.75ltr engine I thought that it would have been economical if I wasn't flooring the gas.

ACP

8.5 isn't too bad... Really... Check your average speed as well... If it is around town it could be as low as 50km/hr... The stop start nature of city driving really kills fuel economy...
In the 4c I can get around 10 in town, and down to 7s on the highway(if careful)... I won't mention the track though...
Alfa 1967 Gulia GT Veloce 1600

Rossi124ac

I have owned a new QV for 1 week now and slightly alarmed at the fuel consumption. Computer says about 9L/100km which I put down to having a new car with a big fun factor. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

aggie57

Modern engine management systems are extremely good at moderating fuel use in low load conditions, but providing the right amount when needed.  And as Stuart says when you have more Kw on board that shows up.

What this means in effect is that when cruising on the highway at moderate speeds you'll typically get great economy but as soon as you get back into the city, hit stop start conditions, or start to use the available power more that fuel use will increase dramatically.  Just leave the trip computer on instant fuel use (or whatever you want to call it) and this pattern is clear.

This also means the way fuel use is reported on new cars in Australia can be extremely misleading.  For most people the actual driving profile is weighted heavily to city or urban use than the reported numbers assume.  As manufacturers add more power to everyday cars this spread just gets wider.

For example my old 911, with 283kw / 420Nm, could easily get well under 10l/100km if you drove at 100km/h in the country.  Likewise my 2003 C200 Merc could get 5-6 in those conditions and our 2008 BMW X3 2.0d would get 5-6 without a problem.  But around town all three would be easily double that.   And on the track the 911 would get - well, not much!  Measured in laps, not distance :).
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Badbull_OZ

Thanks aggie

Potsie

Not really comparing 'apples with apples' here .. but I have been keeping stats. on my average speed v fuel economy for two years (on my 2.4l diesel 159) .. see: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,15191.msg88778.html#msg88778  .. all I can see is that the faster I drive, the better fuel economy I get :)

The QV is a performance car .. have some fun in it and then you'll worry less about fuel bills :D
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)