Tyres - 18 Inch - 159JTDm 2.4 diesel

Started by Potsie, August 25, 2015, 01:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potsie

The 159 Diesel is in need of a new set of rubber. I presently have the standard Pirelli Pzero's - 235/45 R18's. From a quick googling looks like I'm up for about $1300-$1400 for a new set of those.

Any opinions/experiences out there on different brands - eg. best bang for buck (so to speak) ??? ?

I noticed there have been previous posts about 19 inch rims for the Ti model with differing thoughts; but the most recent posting for R18's was a few years ago and was wondering if there has been something better released in the meantime..

thanks. Pots.
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

Roger Smith

Have just replaced the PZero's on my 159 diesel wagon at my local Goodyear service centre. Was advised that the PZero's were  no longer available? Deceided on P7's at an unbelievable $200 each fitted. Last set of PZero's were $340. 159's are hard on tyres and I find pretty noisy. The P7's are quieter, feel softer and a little down in the handling department. On balance, I am pretty pleased with them. Have used Bridgestone, Hancook and Toyo in the past. All inferior to the PZero's.
Current Alfas:
'09 Alfa 159 2.4 sportswagon
'02 156 JTS
'86 Alfetta GTV6 Grand Prix
'68 105 Berlina

Past Alfas: 
'79 Alfetta sedan
'78 Alfasud ti
'69 105 GTV

Stuart Thomson

Hi Potsie,

Just got a set of Khumo's for the missus' 159 wagon.  Standard 18" 159 tyres (235 x 45 x18) for about $600 fitted, balanced and wheel alignment at Jax tyres in Hoppers Crossing.  There's a deal around, four for the price of three.

Make sure you get the wheel alignment set to either zero toe or slightly toe-in (1 deg total).  The factory settings are for toe-out, which is fine for when the car is accelerating, but on the highway it'll scrub out the front tyre inner edge rapidly.

The car doesn't get driven hard enough to test the limits of adhesion of the tyre, so as far as I'm concerned any reasonable brand tyre will do.  I'd go the Chinese el-cheapos at under $100 each, but the QA on some of their stuff can be poor.  Khumo make pretty decent tyres and you won't feel so bad when you inevitably have to replace them after about 45-50k, I've never had a set of tyres last longer than that on the 159.

Cheers
Stuart

As the day goes

What about the toe-in on the rears?  The manual says 13' +- 7' per wheel.

I bought a set of Contis last year for around $1100 fitted and wheel alignment.  From Jax.

Potsie

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Vince - with the Conti's do you notice any difference in noise and/or handling ? (I know you're a bit more of a moderate driver than me, so maybe the handling aspect makes no difference to you :) )
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

As the day goes

Quiet and holds the grip on the road well.  Did my research on the basis Alfa forums before choosing.

The car had Bridgstones on it from memory. Tram lined all of the time. Got rid of them in a month.

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: As the day goes on August 25, 2015, 09:17:30 PM
What about the toe-in on the rears?  The manual says 13' +- 7' per wheel.

I bought a set of Contis last year for around $1100 fitted and wheel alignment.  From Jax.

Actually I just looked up the report from the wheel alignment, toe is measured in mm not degrees, they set it up for 1mm total toe in both axles.

And the bill came to $700 even.

Pretty good value if you don't want high performance tyres.

They seem nice and quiet, will have to remember to rotate them more often though, the last ones scalloped and then were noisy.

Cheers
Stu