159 2.4 Diesel "Change engine oil warning"

Started by David290361, July 11, 2015, 12:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

I've never once waited for the glow plug light to go out before starting which she will do regardless of how hot/cold/freezing (Scottish winter) or long she's been sitting (8weeks on a ship) each and every time on three (crank/turn sounds).

And yes, it sounds horribly expensive. Most all of that "service" could have been done yourself.  OEM cambelt kits with water pumps etc can be had from OS (shop4parts, etc.) very cheaply. Make sure and check before you pay some WA Alfa tax for what is effectively a std part from Gates etc..

(The diesel/water filter is/was $15./ last time I replaced it)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

David290361

Thanks again Craig_m67,

I was intending the oil/filter change bit myself, but a quick look under the bonnet decided me against this course of action. You'd need to be a double-jointed pygmy to do anything under there! Also the uncertainty of whether the "code" would disappear of its own volition.

I no longer even have a floor jack to allow me to get my porky gut anywhere near the oil drain plug!

I once had an Saab V6 petrol with 2 camshafts per bank that spat it's timing belt and bent 16 of the 24 valves. I did that one myself, but I had my heart in my mouth when I turned the key to start when I had finished, just one tooth out on the belt and all that money/effort down the gurgler.

Still, I think the car was a bit of a bargain, $10,000 doesn't buy much anymore.

I'm having trouble remembering that It is my daughter's car, not mine

These days I tend to leave it to the experts and whine about the cost!

Craig_m67

Oltmere silk blue.
My favourite colour on a 159 Sportwagon!!
Nice one.

I'm too lazy to do cam belts myself too ;)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

Just to clarify I wasn't saying avoid that mechanic I was just making you aware of being overcharged for a part. I don't know that particular workshop so I wouldn't base an opinion on them due to a forum conversation.

What Craig has written is mostly correct. I don't know where he found a fuel filter that cheap, hopefully it actually is a filter not an empty can with a sticker on it at that price! Haha.

As the common rail diesels run such high rail pressure it is very important for the high pressure pumps sake,(which is driven by the cam belt) and injectors sake that you use a quality diesel filter.

The cam belt isn't too bad a job, actually changing it isn't hard but there's a few things to remove to do so which is what drives the labour costs up.