Hi Everyone. New WA Member

Started by ugame, July 02, 2015, 05:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugame

Hi Everyone.

All things going well, I'll be a GTV 2.0 TS owner by Sunday afternoon.

I was actually looking for a nice affordable small manual car for my kids to use on their P plates in the next couple of years.

My past cars have included a Nissan 180sx, 300ZX Twin Turbo, 350Z and a Chrysler 300C 5.7 V8.

When I test drove the GTV I was expecting to find myself thinking "it'll do for the kids I guess".

What I ended up thinking was "I MUST own this car!"

Monies have been paid and change over is set for Sunday :)
And I wan't wait! :)

Now we have a problem. Is the GTV for my wife and kids? Or is it for me?

Put it this way. I've sold my wifes 4x4. As of today, my 300C is now up for sale, and I'm browsing gumtree for 156's.

It begins.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

colcol

Welcome to Alfa Romeo Ownership ugame, always remember A.L.F.A.-Always Looking For Another!, enjoy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Welcome Ugame, from a fellow WA member.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

ugame

Thanks guys.

Got the GTV on Saturday and have been having great fun getting to know it.

My Chrysler 300C has been left at home feeling neglected every morning this week :(

Here's the new Toy.

Engine has been looked after and rebuilt very nicely.

So I'll be working on Cosmetic restorations inside and out.

Have sold the wifes 4x4, and will now also be selling my beloved Chrysler :( as tonight, I pick up ANOTHER Alfa lol.

Buying a 147 as the family runabout.

Both Alfa's are Silver with Red leather trim.

So in 1 week, I've gone from having never owned an Alfa, to owning 2 of damn things.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

alanm

Congrats on the purchase of your Alfas, I've never had a 147 but I do own a 916 series GTV like yours and I love it.

If your tidying up requires a few new parts I can recommend UK suppliers Alfaholics, The Alfa Workshop and EB Spares, also Alfastumper (Denmark).
Although with the exchange rate you might also be looking at our local suppliers like Italian Automotive Spares (Melbourne).

Some of the cosmetic stuff that shows wear and tear like the door/B post rubber seals, gear knob and floor mats are available from these suppliers.
The also have some very nice mechanical bits and pieces!

You might also enjoy looking at a website dedicated to the 916 series cars:

http://www.squadra916.com

Cheers,
Alan
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

ugame

Cheers mate. Great info.

The spare is a full size wheel so will be on the lookout for a space saver first. And floor mats. Currently running with some bogan "Winged Skulls" mats I had laying around the garage.

And this weekend will be the awesome fun of "window adjustments" haha.

Picking up the 147 tonight now as as didn't make it to the bank in time.

ugame

Been enjoying both the 147 and the GTV all weekend.

Got the 147 on Friday.

Here's some snaps of the 2 together.

While the 2 are similar, they are really chalk and cheese.

The 147 is a 2005 Twin Spark manual and feels like a brand new car.

The GTV is clunky and raw and aged in comparison.

Yet I found myself driving the GTV to work today haha.

ugame

Hi Guys,

Excuse the lazy copy and paste from AusAlfa but just wanted to update my story a little.......

Wow it's been 1.5 years since I purchased 2 cheap Alfa's on a whim.

I was thinking of writing my thoughts on the experience after all this time.

The 147 has been pretty trouble free. Sure she drinks oil like fuel and sure she sometimes starts in limp mode, only to be fine 10 minutes later, and sure she sometimes questions if I'm the rightful owner (imobalizer failure), but ALL of that is forgivable. She's been a great family car and so comfortable to drive. With Bridgestone R003's on every corner, she handles so sweet.

Only real let down so far was when it broke down for the wife with the clutch straight to the floor.

But that fix was just a $0 snap pin away. Gotta love the internet.

The aged 1998 GTV then?

She's loose. She rattles. The exhaust note is....questionable.

....and I still LOVE it to bits.

Of the 2, it's been the least trouble thanks to the last owner taking care of what counts. The engine!

So why am I resurrecting this 1.5 year old thread now?

Well....at lunch times I go for a walk with a mate. And sometimes we pop into this car auction place.......

Long story short.........

http://i64.tinypic.com/b7kgzn.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/oqvtz4.jpg

I couldn't resist.

2002 Twin Spark Manual in EXCELLENT condition for the same price I purchased the silver one for.

It's not "perfect" but it's damn close, and it will be fun fixing the little things.

The only really big concern at the moment is the fact that the passenger side window doesn't work, so that will be fun.

Engine and gearbox feel great and the whole car is...well...simply less aged than the 98.

Yep folks. I've got it bad.

BUT...... with a beetle in the garage as well, sadly the wife insists this 2002 is to "replace" the Silver 1998.,

I love the raw character of the silver 98 and have bonded with it in ways I was not anticipating when I purchased it.

Anyone know of a good divorce lawyer?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2q07pub.jpg

So since then, the Silver 98 GTV has been sold and I'm back down to 2, and showing the 2002 Black GTV some TLC including:

Timing belt
100K service
New brakes (disks and pads) all round
Returning to original 16" GTV wheels with Bridgestone RE003's being fitted as I type this.

I also now have a 1974 Beetle now tucked away in the garage currently waiting for a new battery lol.

poohbah

Don't wish to tempt you Ugame (hahaha), but there's another very similar GTV to your latest for sale locally with similar wheels...

Surely room for one more!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-2003/SSE-AD-4346979/?Cr=2
            1981 GTV

ugame

Quote from: poohbah on April 12, 2017, 10:57:59 AM
Don't wish to tempt you Ugame (hahaha), but there's another very similar GTV to your latest for sale locally with similar wheels...

Surely room for one more!

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-2003/SSE-AD-4346979/?Cr=2

lol yeah seen that one.

Maaaaaaybe I have a carsales alert setup ;)

but then I have one setup for Ferrari's also so LOL

My 2002, which presents VERY well, and as mentioned was purchased as an impulse buy at an Auction warehouse (fixed price) only cost me.....

....wait for it.......

$2990  :o

That's the reason I did it. Saw a bargain and jumped on it.

Sure I've now spent $2600 on it afterward lol but that was on SERVICING, and even that $5K example would probably need the same spent unless they've just replaced all brakes, 100K service, and Cam belt service.

So I still consider myself very "up".

It does have little things to be fixed but they wont cost much.  The dugga dugga vibration, thanks to the FREE 16" wheels I picked up (which I did honour with some liquid currency btw ;) ) will have only cost me ~$640 to fix (new tyres and bolts). We'll find out this weekend I guess when I actually fit them.

So the only remaining "fixes" are:
driver side window mechanism = $200 (fix) to $600 (replace)
Airbag occupancy warning light = ~$100 (steering wheel needs to be removed to check the wiring. Wiring under seat already fixed).

The car was at the price i paid for it for sure, due to the airbag light, as a car yard simply could not sell it like that. That's my guess anyway.

Na mate. The next Alfa will be a Busso GTV :D
Other than that, once the kids have passed their driving tests, I can see the 147 being retired and replaced with perhaps a 156 face-lift model, or a Mercedes 190E W124 maybe.....

That said, I'm kind of addicted to it's versatility. The 147 has played many roles already.

Daily commuter
Comfortable family car
Van for market days
Mountain bike transportation
Track day weapon (felt like a Ferrari compared to the Beetle that I'd also taken to the track same day lol)

poohbah

Haha, well done. I check carsales and gumtree pretty much every day - pretty much just for fun, but you never know.

When you say Busso GTV do you mean 116 or 916 series?

My '81 116 GTV 2.0L is great fun (couldn't find a V6 at the time) and weighs nothing and makes a great noise, but the Busso V6 in my 156 is the best sounding engine you could wish for (shy of a tuned Porsche 928S V8) and the best looking too with its chromed inlet pipes. And its just a super classy car to cruise in.

While I'd obviously love a Giulia QV (maybe one day), eventually I'd like to get my hands on a 3.0L 75 Potenziata. I really love the boxy lines of all 80s Alfas - except the Arna!

Have a great Easter.

1981 GTV

ugame

916 for me.

I do love the older GTV's if for nothing other than RWD, but I have accidentally and illogically fallen for the 916's.

A friend of mine owned a mint 98 Ph1 916 GTV that I could have purchased for $8K not long ago but I wasn't in love with them at the time, and I owned a 350Z which I thought was "better".

More recently, he tempted me again when he sold his V6 AWD Brera  8)