Another Barn Find resurrection!

Started by avi81n, June 19, 2015, 12:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi81n

Hi all,

This will be nothing like Evan Bottcher's inspiring thesis on a 1750 GTV restoration but my little project is nearing the point where things will accelerate (hopefully😗) in its return to the roads of SE Qld.

About 6 years ago I began my period of stewardship of this vehicle which I obtained from a co-worker who needed his barn back on his coffee plantation in the hills behind Byron Bay.

The vehicle had been off the road for about 8 years and not even started for about 3-4 years.

It has been a slow moving restoration project that has the car now ready for reassembly starting with suspension components.

My philosophy for the restoration is to have a comfortable, safe and useful car that I will be happy to drive anywhere and everywhere but not necessarily every day. To that end I haven't gone to a Concourse level of finish but I am trying to keep most things at a reasonable level of originality with small modernisations here and there. I am sure that some will criticise this non-original path and some will approve, while others would go even further! That is what is great about car enthusiasts and this hobby.

I will post some pics showing a broad overview and hopefully I will have time in the future to chat specifically about detailed areas of the restoration.

As many of you would know, these restorations take time, with things like finances and, in my case, babies all slowing down the process along the way. Comments from other Alfisti will always be welcome, especially as now I feel like I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and I can't wait to sit behind my lovely restored steering wheel and take my young son for a drive in what may end up being his car one day!

Colin Byrne

your photo order is hurting my brain :D

very nice, love the color, so 1750 series 2? looks like the shell was in good condition before you painted it, much work required?

more photo's please!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

avi81n

Thanks Colin - we must think the same, it bugs me no end that those 2 photos are the wrong way around[emoji79] Still learning how this tapatalk app works!
Yep it is a 1971 Le Mans Blue on a 1969 Series 1 - like I said, the restoration is not a slave to originality.
Body was ok when back to bare metal - new floor pans front/rear have gone in. Rust repairs around the front beaver panel and radiator support beam + A pillar bases and some physical damage fixed above rear bumper. Some other minor rust pinholes etc around windows.

I've got heaps of photos on the computer at home and posting from the iPad is a little laborious! I have been meaning to get some piccies up in an album on my website so when I do I will post the link here.

Carl

Craig_m67

I love French blue on these, more pics please :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

avi81n

Two more pics - she isn't front and centre but sharing the limelight with my daily driver in one of them[emoji4]

Garibaldi

Good Job. I love the colour, but then I am quite partial to Blue cars. I'm sure it will look amazing when it is finished.  8)

avi81n

I have created an Album on my flickr page with a collection of photos.

Check it out here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackalsphotos/sets/72157652440281344

Enjoy!

Carl

Evan Bottcher

Fan-bloody-tastic!  ;D

Looks fabulous!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Where did you source the exhaust? That's on my list to get soon...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

avi81n

Thanks Evan.
That is the Alfaholics sports exhaust - delivered to my door for under $2k (including shipping), although that was about 6 months ago before the dollar dropped. 1 quote for locally made extractors alone was more than that!
It looks like a beautifully manufactured system and I can't wait to hear it.

105gta

Looks very nice indeed, I'm looking forward to see the finished product.
Interested to know where you got the floor panel sections from and how well did they fit.
They seem to be very well made.
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: avi81n on June 19, 2015, 10:25:49 PM
I have created an Album on my flickr page with a collection of photos.

FWIW if you use flickr you can upload all your photos there, and then embed a couple of highlights here in a post using BBCode.  Give me a shout if you want directions.

You'll be back on the road in no time!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV