Have your tailshaft crack tested more often.

Started by Mick A, June 14, 2015, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

Today I found out the hard way that my tailshaft probably had a hairline fracture.

After 7 years of hard use on the track it decided it had enough and wanted to go out in style.

-Mick.

Stephen Aarons

1989 75 3.0 (Weekend Toy)
1982 GTV6 (Project)
        oo=v=oo
2001 156 (TS Cup Car)
2015 Nissan Navara (Daily drive/Tow car)

jazig.k

BOO! Must have got the last few BMP out of your heart?

If anyone is interested, crack testing can be done at home, DIY. At work we use a product called dyepen.
Comes in pressure packs. Spray on the red dye and leave for X time, wipe it all off and spray on the white chalk like stuff. The dye penetrates everything! The chalk stuff sucks it out of the cracks and shows up a pink-red stains. Very good stuff that will show up microscopic cracks you would never see with the naked eye.
Apparently you need to go sit a few day course to use this stuff in world recognized quality control standards but it's pretty brain dead stuff. Still, it doesn't hurt to pay someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

Thevak

Now there is one + for a front wheel drive!

And now for second + ..... any suggestions?
1970 GT Junior 1300
2002 147
1988 33 1.7EI

Jekyll and Hyde

Looks like the typical GTV6 front yoke failure?  Been eyeing mine off for a while, I don't think its got long to live either...

The body language afterwards is deserving of some captions, I think.... "I don't remember that hole being there before.  Is there a hole in my leg? No... Let me check that again - no, still no hole in my leg.  Is the tailshaft about to come party inside the car?"

Mick A

Nope the tailshaft snapped clean in two.

Donut and yoke and even the spline from the tailshaft with some tailshaft hanging off it still attached to the motor.

Mick A

The car is fucked, it needs a whole new floor pan and tunnel. It's bent all the way back past the gear lever. Can't select 5th or Reverse.

Fucked!

Brad M

Shame about the car, good to see you are ok though.

How often should you have the tail shaft crack tested? Yearly? every 2-3 years? clearly not as long as 7 years.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

jazig.k

Wow, that's a lot of energy to ruin the whole floor pan! Sorry to hear

Any plans for tail shaft loops next time?

lightyear

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Choderboy on June 14, 2015, 09:24:50 PM
F*ked!

This makes me sad, you just un-f*ked it too! Commiserations, hope you can find the enthusiasm to get started fixing it soon.

Terrifying video, glad you've still got ankles and feet.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mick A

Victor Lee

Yes, scary stuff!  I am most impressed with your cool manner and stuck it into neutral and turned the engine off and coasted into the exit road.

I'm sure you'll get it fixed soon.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

tjb0274

Oof - that was even more dramatic than I was expecting.

Really sad about the car, but really good that you're still in once piece. Could easily have been much worse.

I know my spannering skills are pretty rough, but if I can be of any help with the rebuild let me know - like many of us, I owe you a bundle of track days saved with borrowed tools and (more often) time/expertise.
Current:
1970/1990 Ricciardi-Alfa (track/occasional weekend car)
2003 147 GTA (daily driver)
1969 Lotus Europa (weekend toy)
2003 Peugeot 206gti (retired daily driver)

Past:
1971 1750 GTV
More Fiat 850s than I can count