Giulietta 18" tyre size alternatives

Started by Neil Choi, May 31, 2015, 08:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Hello all,
Hope someone can help, need to replace a damaged Giulietta tyre.  It is a Dunlop Sport Maxx TT 225/40R18, stock standard, but expensive, over $420 each retail.  Anyone got any ideas if there is a +1 size or suitable alternative size that is cheaper due to common availability, ie 235 (without rubbing) with/or difference profile.  Similar to the 159 19" scenario. 
Also I am thinking of an alternative tyre such as Bridgestone RE001/002, RE11 or something like that, Dunlop Direzza ZII, or el cheapo Direzza DZ102, any comments?  I have Direzza ZI and they are fantastic, road, spirited driving and playing on the track in a standard car.
Cheers all
Neil
PS I am hoping to pick up a s/h replacement to get by for a short time while deciding on good rubber.  I always believe in good rubber over horsepower and other superficial mods etc.

El_4_Romeo

RE002s are pretty nice, in my humble opinion. I have them in 225/45/17 on my VW appliance and they stand up pretty well to straight-line hooliganism and fast cornering.

Stuart Thomson

Hi Neil,

The Mito wears tyres quite unevenly front to back (go figure).  The dealer service rotated one side of my car, but not the other.  Result, one really screwed tyre, two quite worn, one in great condition.  That tyre is at Bruno's as I retrieved it from the tyre swap I did last service.  But, it's 215/40/18.

I'm not sure of the legal/insurance details for having mismatched tyre sizes on cars, but on the rear of the Giulietta, really, would it make that much difference?  Talk to Bruno, he'll have some proper advice.

Cheers
Stuart

Neil Choi

Well, as luck would have it, I just got a blown tyre in my 156 on a work trip so need to get another as well, two blown tyres in a matter of a few days, talk about unreliable Alfa's.

Neil Choi

Mmm, was thinking of a great drive along GOR back to Melbourne but plans diverted due to a space saver wheel.

Now to shop for a 156 16" tyre as well.

rocklogic

Neil I had the RE002s on my old 147, and in the GQV I'm also probably going to replace one (or all four) as the sidewall (and my rims) got gouged lightly by a stupid concrete block that was sticking out.

For cheap tyres, dare I suggest COSTCO if you are a member, or if you have a family who has a costco membership. Definitely way cheaper than what you get outside (and close to tirerack prices). 
2010 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0TS Rosso Red

past: 2000 Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed TS

ANG156

Continental have 4 tyres for the price of 3 across their entire range until the end of June.

Neil Choi

Thanks Ang for the heads up, sounds like a reasonable deal, any ideas on which Conti, I know nothing about them.

Have contacts with Bridgestone and Dunlop, so going to be a tough choice between them all.

Just saw ad for RE003, looks cool.  Could be a toss up between RE003, ZII and a Conti.

Also I am conscience on the price tyre people gives me, several quoted enormous retail price then says as a favour gives me a trade price, looks like a massive discount, then later find out the discounted price is the same as a normal retail price else where.  Go figure.

ANG156

I know what you mean Neil regarding prices. I usually check thr jaxk quick fit website to get a rough guide on a particular tyre first.

As for the conti tyres not sure which to recommend for a giulietta. I have had continental sport contact 2 and I thought they were fine. I am no tyre engineer but I found the wet and dry weather grip good. You are more of a competition guy so I would magine you to be more fussy about tyres.

Re003 sound good.