2002 Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed - Issues

Started by addem, May 28, 2015, 03:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addem

Hi all,

Just joined the forums and was after a bit of advice with a 2002 Alfa 156 that I just bought. I bought it knowing that it had issues but wanted to see what you all thought before taking it in to be repaired and possibly a break down of costs.

So here are the known issues with the car so far:

- Missing the auxiliary belt (does this run the A/C, P/S and Alt?)
- A/C Compressor bearing is noisy (could it be seized?)
- Rocker cover gasket needs replacing and is currently leaking oil
- RH lower control arm has excessive play to it
- Undertray bolt is seized (been told this can be removed entirely at pretty much no cost)
- Alternator not charging battery (given due to aux. belt missing)
- Power Steering not working (is this due to aux. belt missing?)

Since getting it towed to my place today the guys who dropped it off said that the trans seemed to slip a bit. Is this the nature of the Selespeed? Also since I sat it in properly and played around with the gears they seem to make a decent clunking sound when going into any gear. Read on various forums that this apparently is normal. Can someone confirm?

First time owning an Alfa but pretty happy with the purchase since I picked the car up for $800 :)

Can't wait for everyone's input.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

colcol

Hello Adam, and welcome to the forum,
Auxillary belt, called the fan belt in the olden days, now called a serpentine belt,
This belt runs the alternator, power steering pump and air conditioning compressor,
Hopefully air conditioner compressor bearing is seized, much better than compressor itself being seized,
Rocker cover gasket is leaking, this gasket should be replaced every 3 years, when you change the timing belts, you have to put cam locks on the inlet and exhaust cams, when the timing belts are changed,
Right hand lower control arm has excessive play in it, just put a new arm on it and don't try replacing bushes only,
Also check the other side's control arm, as they wear out in pairs,
Get a good brand of control arm, such as genuine or TRW, as the cheap knock offs rattle after a few months,
Undertray bolts usually fall off, shortly followed by the undertray dragging on the ground,
I assume it is a twin spark?,
Don't know much about Selespeeds, but there are much more informed people than me to comment on them, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

addem

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the information.

I referred to it as an auxiliary built as I had seen it from European Alfa forums but knew it was a fan belt from the old days. Figured it ran the above mentioned components but glad to get confirmation.

Yes the engine is a twin spark, probably should have mentioned that in my first post.

From what you have said it sounds like I'm on the right track with everything but really appreciate the advice.

Hopefully someone on here can advise about the Selespeed as I've never driven in it but it feels quite strange reversing and driving forward a bit. The clunking didn't appear as loud as earlier today but the best way to describe what I noticed is that it feels like an auto trans slipping. Really need to read a bit more or ask some people with the knowledge about this sort of setup as I don't want to be taken for a ride getting it "repaired" when there is nothing wrong with it.

Once the car is running I might even head out to one of the Alfa days :)

Thanks,

Adam

colcol

From what i know about Selespeeds, get them serviced on time every year by an Alfa Romeo Service Provider, they are too complicated to have them done by a Franchised Service Centre or Auto Electrician.
And by now you would know about timing belt servicing and 3 years or 50,000 - 60,000 klms, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

addem

Hi Colin,

The SeleSpeed sure do seem to have some issues but I am happy to keep it regularly serviced :) yeah I was told by someone that they should be done every 60,000km this had one done 22,000 ago so that should be alright.

Adam

colcol

It seems that it is 50,000 under harsh conditions, ie lots of city idling, heat and dust, 60,000, cleaner conditions, freeway driving, etc, but 3 years is not negotiable, Colin.

gtv19

Hello Adam, welcome to Alfa ownership. Please check onto the AROCA SA website to locate the Club members service people and perhaps arrange for one of them to look at your car. There is a Club meeting next Thursday at the Sporting Car Club rooms at 51 King William Rd Unley at 7.30 for 8.00 pm, you are welcome to attend and speak with members who have had or still have similar issues Website is www.alfaclubsa.org.
I should be there, if not introduce yourself to Malcolm Ebel, Club Pres.
Best wishes,

Laurie Ardill
past Pres and current 156 Selespeed owner.
current,
alfa 3.2gt (q2)
159 2.4 Diesel Ti sportwagon
147 twinspark manual
past

105 spider (modified)
alfetta gtv twin spark
156 Ti selespeed x2
1.8gt`s 3 of
Alfetta sedan (sprint car)
105 series spiders(2)