Alfetta footage from Sandown

Started by Mat Francis, May 30, 2008, 11:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

after endless problems with various cameras and getting the sound to work, i think it's close enough. i think this was my second timed run. any advice/criticism or general abuse will be gratefully accepted in good humour  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBX6mRLx9Kg
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

Brilliant footage!  I particularly like from about 5m20secs when a grey 90 and red Alfasud come through - never seen my car from outside like that before (not when I'm driving anyway).  I'll upload the matching video from my perspective when I get a chance tonight.

Really nice driving for a novice (watch out everybody) - much quicker than I was on my first few trips around.  Well done.  I'm still looking forward to seeing the final times for the day.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mat Francis

Thanks Evan, i thoroughly enjoyed myself. looking forward to next time, i'll be disappointed if i don't make up some more time at the bottom of the back straight there. Look forward to seeing you footage  ;D
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

I was playing around with TrackVision getting my data overlaid onto the video, but I'm still having trouble outputting it in a good format, so here's the unadorned video of run 2 for amusement.

Matt - if you fast forward to 7min55secs that's the matching bit of footage from my perspective.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mat Francis

Great stuff  ;D Half way through filling out my Phillip Island entry as i post this.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mat Francis

Oh and just out of curiosity, does anybody driving a 116 series car (4 cylinder) use second gear at all at Sandown? i think i was about 50% of the time out of Dandenong Road, and although the car felt like it was pulling harder obviously, i have a feeling it would of been slower. Any thoughts?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

jimnielsen

I used 2nd on EVERY corner at Sandown in my 116 Giulietta except turn 1 and the curve over the Dandenong Rd hill!
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Mat Francis

was that when the car was stock as such jim, or after the extensive modifications? all the running gear in my car is out of a 1.8 Alfetta, and i have a feeling the gear ratio's are slightly different? i found that by the time i was just off the ripple strip on dandenong road i had run up about 5000, and i'm changing at about 5500 to try and preserve a somewhat elderly engine. hence my use of third gear. am i doing something wrong here?  ???
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

vin sharp

Jim switches the engine OFF if it gets as low as 5500rpm!
"Below 5000rpm is for parking" he says, as another pinion shaft tries to escape to freedom through the side of the diff casing........

Sheldon McIntosh

Does your car have an LSD?  This could make a big difference to which gear is most effective.

jimnielsen

yep, my car was 'very' modified - but some of the corners at sandown are going to be 65kp/h at the slowest, so maybe 2nd gear could be used for slowest ones.

jim.

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Mat Francis

Sheldon, the car has an open diff and is likely to stay that way for quite some time.
I'll correct myself, the 1.8 gearbox has exactly the same ratios as the 2L ones, according to the workshop manuals. Another thing to consider here is the tyres. The manual states that 2nd gear is good to 74km/h, which i presume is running the standard tyres, as the car came off the factory floor. which were 185/70/14's, again says the manual. For track days i am running a set of 195/60/14's, which to my understanding would reduce the top speed available to me in each gear. So i might (?) of just answered my own question there, in that third gear is probably the way to go if i try and stick to Jim's guide of 65k+ for the corners?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Justin Jacobs

My father and i run an Alfetta GT 1.8[ NOW WITH STANDARD 2L] AND WE NEVER GET BELOW THIRD AT SANDOWN UNLESS SLOWED DOWN BY OTHER TRACK USER . LESS GEAR CHANGES THE BETTER ,KEEPING THE MOMENTUM UP IS A GOOD DICIPLINE AS FORCES YOU TO BE SMOOTH AND KEEP THE GAS ON .SMALLER TYRES HELP WITH GEAR BOX RATIOS OUT OF CORNEAS BUT LIMIT TOP SPEED . JJ .

Fast Eddie

Justin, who are you suggesting is the slower traffic, huh?  ;D

Your words should be listened to as you did win the competition trophy in 06/07 in your first full year.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.