147 (2001) Motor Control system failure - throttle body assembly.

Started by ken147, April 13, 2015, 05:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken147

Hi all,

I have a 147, that the battery connection on the positive terminal corroded to the point that it did not make a connection. I think it may have shorted on this, where, when I replaced the connection, it came up with the motor control system failure. It has limited the revs to 1500, and I have managed to get it to a repair shop, but it appears that they don't look at Alfa's all that much.
They believe that its a "throttle body assembly" that has failed. Does this sound right? Alfa are quoting around 2K for a new one, which I really cannot afford. A second hand one appears to be around $200. (Does this sound reasonable?)
The mechanic is not sure though if the new/second hand part needs to be programmed to the car, or whether we need to get it to a Alfa dealer for this or not.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Ken147

colcol

I would get them to connect a scanner to it to try and find out what the problem is, as opposed to guess work, if they took a punt on the throttle body assembly and they guessed wrong, then you have a $2,000 paper weight.
If you get it scanned and it turns out it is throttle body assembly, then try a Alfa Romeo Independant spare parts supplier such as Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick, in Victoria for example or one of the Spare parts suppliers on the supporters banner, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]