GT - Horn Inoperative

Started by Beatle, March 02, 2015, 10:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

So, I flew to Newcastle Sat morning to pick up the GT.   After sorting a minor issue with a dodgy battery earth connection, I set off for the drive home to QLD.  Last thing I did as I was driving out, was wave to the previous owner and toot the horn.

That was the last time I heard anything from the horn......

I checked the fuse with a meter = Good
Relay = Good (also swapped relays around)
Hot wire the horn through the relay socket = Good

So the problem seems to be upstream of the relays/fuses, and I suspect it's in the horn pad.

CAN I PULL THE HORN PAD WITHOUT IT BLOWING UP IN MY FACE ??????   How do I remove the pad from the centre of the wheel, and how do I make-safe the airbag while I play around in there?

It's a long way to a knowledgeable Alfa tech, and I need the horn to pass a roadworthy in the next week or so.

Note that everything else on the steering wheel seems to work fine.

Cheers
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

colcol

Grab your radio code, remove battery lead, wait 1/2 hour, as in 156 JTS, use allen key, 5 mm from memory, undo the 3 allen screws on back of steering wheel pad, they are deeply recessed, you need a short allen key, so that you don't hit the dashboard, but too short and the bent bit on the key won't be accessable, use a torch and mirror to see what you are doing.
This will give you access to the horn pad.
Be carefull!, with battery disconnected, airbag won't go off, but parts are delicate, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Beatle

Just to close out this thread.

Pulled it all apart without anything going BANG!    Problem seems to be the same as shown here: http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/156_horn_problem.shtml  though mine was only just starting to show corrosion on the little diode-ey thingamajigger.  Cleaned it up with metho and a brush, recoated with some electrical sealer, reinstalled and it works fine (passed roadworthy).  I didn't add the extra wire.

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bazzbazz

Just for future reference, the corroded Surface Mount Device (SMD) has a 0 on it, indicating it has 0 resistance & is in fact a SMD fusible link. So in future your better off removing the corroded device & replace it with a small link of wire.

Just for next time if it fails again

Baz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Beatle

Or prise it off and drive a copper staple across the track?   ;)   ;D
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love