2.0 TS 156 - First!

Started by AlfaMeThis, March 26, 2015, 03:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaMeThis

Greetings good people!

I was brought to this site by the new found love and adoration I have for my new daily driver - 2000, Alfa Romeo 156 TwinSpark 2.0 Litre 5 Speed Manual Sedan. I manage to pick this one up as a bargain from a person who was taking very good care of it but just couldn't invest the time into the poor thing as he had family commitments.

What Ive learned thus far is that it is not exactly easy to find parts at regular stores, and if you do they manage to send you back a shinny penny or so, however it makes me appreciate how special it really is, and showing itself to be.

I have a nice history with Australian and Japanese cars over the last few years. Put quite simply they are manageable, cheap, and in high supply. Playing with them is easy and straight forward. Though the complexity of the Alfa has me wanting to learn much about it and being my first European car (my grandmother would be proud) I thought why not link up with some passionate enthusiast who can share some of their stories and even offer some advice.

Thanks ya'll!

colcol

Welcome to the Forum and Alfa Romeo ownership, AlfaMeThis.
On the 17th April on Friday night between 7pm and 9-30, there will be a workshop visit to Alfaman in Brooklyn about modern series Alfa Romeo's, such as 147-156-159, Brera, GTV, GT and Spider current, old and new members welcome, come along and get some information.
Timing belts and oil changes are important on these 147 and 156 4 cylinders, 50-60 thousand kilometres or 3 years, no more....or else.
Use 10-40 fully synthetic oil of your choice, change it on time and check it every week.
To book at the Alfaman workshop visit call 0407 090 826 or email Colin at drtool@bigpond.com.au  before its too late, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AlfaMeThis

Thanks very much for the warm welcome.

The timing belt is exactly right, I currently have my wheels at the Alfa Men Workshop in Brooklyn being worked on. Excited to get it back so I can figure out what I need to do next. Thus far its in fairly decent nick, so besides the obvious clean up here and there i guess I might be geared towards seeing what else I can do to it. The meet on the 17th of April sounds like a great platform for me to spring up and learn a little something. Thanks again!

ANG156

If you try Bursons thomastown you will find you can get timing belt kits and oil filters.

Davidm1600

The thing to do is jump on the web and find parts from overseas suppliers, typically out of the UK seems the best, fastest and cheapest option. I buy everything I need for my 156 from EB Spares. Seriously, if you don't you will pay too much as a rule from suppliers here in Oz.   Parts take 3-4 days as a rule to arrive from the UK.  Even though the Aussie has fallen against the Quid, and even with postage you still normally for most things will be ahead $ wise.

All the best and hopefully your 156 will be a great intro to euro motoring.  I have had mine now for 7 1/2 years and it still brings a smile to my face when I look at it and/or drive it.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Alfa156Melb1

The Alfamen visit would be a great start as Col said, and as said above - overseas suppliers are often significantly cheaper than local, and parts are more readily available...

Try:

UK
EBSpares
Alfaworkshop
Autolusso
Shop4Parts

Europe
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-156:::1_15.html - if you sign up for an account, they will quote prices ex-VAT as we don't pay that.
http://ricambi.alfisti.net/index.php?cat=c905_Alfa-156--932-.html - same as above
http://www.alfastumper.com/

Local suppliers
Italian Autospares - http://www.italianautomotivespares.com.au/ - ask for Dom or Rob
Alfamen - Matt can supply just about anything and somehow always gets great prices too. He's also a genius with these cars.

There's a couple more in Australia, but I forget their names...

Welcome to the club and good luck with your 156 - the TS is a wonderful motor!

Cheers,
Dave.

firefly

have any one had purchase anything from the English companies?