decarb JTS

Started by jimay3677, March 02, 2015, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimay3677

Well I have tried twice to decarb my 156 JTS. Not due to any issue just as preventative maintenance. The first time was 12 months and 30,000k ago. I used seafoam as directed and saw no smoke. Today I did it again with Nulon foaming intake cleaner and again no smoke. What the? I put it in via the pcv vacuum hose just after the throttlebody.

colcol

I think seafoam is for outboard motors.
The Nulon, made by Nulon and Subaru made by Barrs, has to have half the foam put in the intake manifold, then wait 15 minutes for it to foam up and clean the manifold, then start the engine and run it, and while it is running, spray the remaining contents of the can in the manifold.
Then after about 10 minutes running, change the oil, as it mixes all the nasties in with the oil.
Made my JTS idle smoother, but thats about it.
I saw at Supercheap a manifold cleaner for a 'GDI'  Gasoline Direct Injection, it was made in Germany by MolyLiqui and it had a thin long straw to stick down the manifold, so it looks like you have to spray near the centre of the manifold, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfa81 on March 02, 2015, 05:54:38 PM
I put it in via the pcv vacuum hose just after the throttlebody.

Ahh did you remove the pcv valve & hose from the throttle body end, or just the hose from the engine end?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

jimay3677

Lol. I didn't spray into the crankcase if that's what you're thinking. I removed from the manifold end then sprayed into the nipple on the manifold. There was quite a large vacuum. As I put it in the revs were fluctuating but after leaving for five minutes there was no smoke at all. perhaps I will try again with someone keeping the revs higher than idle.

bazzbazz

Ahh, well if there was a nipple there that is the pipe supplying you brake booster vacuum, just the spot to do it :)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

jimay3677

Hey Baz. I couldn't get the clip off the brake booster so used the hose from crankcase to manifold. Will give it another go with brake booster I'll just try a bit harder to get the clip undone.