156 Track/ Road options

Started by Bear157, May 25, 2014, 10:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear157

I just posted in the 156 area about my intentions to convert my 156 TI into a Track/Road car. I would be very appreciative of opinions. here is the thread http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12552.0.html

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

Cool Jesus

Have a look on my thread in the same section. I think DNA Dave (May have name wrong) mention he had a 156 on the track. I haven't looked, it may have been a PM from him.  He may have some pointers if no one chimes in. Info has been thin on my thread. I guess FWD track cars are a rare breed.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Bear157

Cheers, will have a look.

I don't think it will stay that way. 156/147 type vehicles are finding there way out there more and more.

Thanks again.

Rob

Evan Bottcher

Definitely a growing interest in this category, but not many cars out there yet in Vic at least.  Bix (club secretary) has done some mods to his twin spark 156 and is doing good times, he might share his progress?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Bear157

Thanks Evan. Yeah, a few starting to pop their heads up here in Qld. Whilst I would love another full-on race car, reality says that I need it to be a car that can be registered. I just want to make sure I don't break any rules doing it.

krysRAW = AROCA-Vic PR =

I don't know if I'd ever get around to taking my 156 on the track.

All I can say is that the one thing I tell my list of mechanics that work on my car:

"set up the car so if the occasion should arise, I'm able to out maneuver and out run anyone who may be chasing me"

Which such statement is always followed by the question of who would be chasing me  :o

Which I always answer with "best not to ask questions...just make it happen...."

8)

2004 156 JTS 2.0 5-Spd Manual

MODS:
Tint
Stance SC7 19x8.5 Rims
Custom Sport Exhaust
Custom 90mm Cold Air Intake
SAAS Pod Filter
Wheel guards Rolled & Pumped
BC Adjustable BR(RS) coilovers
Front Tower Strut Brace
3" intake pipe

Dna Dave

I have just set up a gtv 3.2L, have previously raced a 156 gta.

It actually isn't too bad on the road because of the light clutch and power steering, although quite bumpy.

With the 156, I ran in full race trim, q2, front coilovers with 650 pounds springs, rear 900 pounds, 1mm toe out on rear and as much caster as possible, great on the track in the dry, as u want the rear to slide around abit on a front wheel drive, BUT, it is a hand full in the wet or on cold tyres, so maybe go abit softer all round as a road/race car.

Good luck

David
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Cool Jesus

Hey hey DNA, you saved me from the dementia clinic  :P
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Bear157

Thanks guys, great info. I have had the 156 on the track a couple of times now. The TI suspension is pretty good for a road car and not too bad on the track, but coil overs are definitely on the agenda.

Dave, did you run full/half cage or harness bar? I have been trying to research Harness Bars, with the thought they would be easier to reverse if selling one day, however, no-one seems to be doing them for 156's. I think I will look into a bolt in half cage that can be removed if I ever need to. I'm also looking to go with race seat and harness so I can get a HANS device.

I'm also liking the idea of a chip/exhaust/air intake combo.

It's only money:-)

Rob

Dna Dave

Rob,

With the 156 gta, I had a full welded in cage as the car could never be road registered, with the gtv I welded in the rear half (to be engineered as 2 seater) and bolted in the front half ;).

David
1980 Alfa gtv racecar, 2.0L twinspark turbo
1991 Alfa 75 Potenziata
2009 Alfa Mito VRA Racecar
1974 Alfetta sedan
2003 Mitsubishi Evo3 RS
2008 Alfa GT 3.2L
2007 Mazerati MC Victory

Past,

Not that many 😜

Bear157

Thanks Dave.

I'm going to keep searching for a harness bar solution at this stage, as there is no engineering involved and will allow me to direct funds towards coil overs and performance gear. If that fails, she might have to become registered as a two seater with half cage. Will probably remove rear seats on track days so I can transport some track tyres and rims for swap over at the track anyway and nobody ever sits in the back, even on daily runs to and from work.

Heading to QR next weekend for Saturday sprint day to have another run around the track...better than playing golf :-)

LaStregaNera

Harness bars are a really bad idea if you ever put the car on it's roof - 4/5/6point harness holds you upright, but with no roll-over support - broken necks can be the outcome.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6