27mm Torsion Bars

Started by Fylnn, February 08, 2015, 11:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fylnn

Anyone know where you can source 27mm long torsion bars for an '83 GTV6.

GTVeloce

I bought my 28mm long bars (83 GTV) from Pace Engineering in Melbourne. I have seen 27mm bars advertised in the US at Performatek.

Fylnn

I had 28mm, too stiff, I tried to buy 27mm from Performatek, but 2 months after ordering no product, so cancelling order and looking for alternative. 

jazig.k

Haha, good luck with Performatek... Funny he doesn't operate honestly though, because he recently updated a few listings...

rowan_bris

I had 30 mm - way too stiff.  Ended up with 27 mm from Performatek.  I have some 25 mm if they might be of any interest.

Fylnn

I got 25mm just a bit soft.  I sound like Goldilocks.  Now looking at coilovers as Plan B or is that C. 

MD

Dear Goldilocks  ;D

Not really knowing your application, I am just shooting the breeze here.

Fitting a 27mm sway bar but retaining the original torsion rates makes a dramatic change in controlling front end roll without introducing harshness in the ride if that is the mission.

If you elect to use large sway bars, you will need to re-inforce the bar mounts as they will eventually just crack.You will also need a good wheel alignment to deal with the understeer issues that will evolve immediately.

This strategy is aided by increasing the rear spring rate to around 185lb +

Ideally if you use big torsion bars, the chassis should get a good check over and do some seam welding as it wont take too long before the chassis rails start to flex along with the bars. Caution.

Coil overs work well but once again not just a fit and forget affair.

If your dampers allow it, you should get the valving reset for the new bound and rebound rates to complete the handling package.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

aggie57

Personal experience is the key to good ride with stiffer torsion bars lies in getting the shocks valved properly to match, particularly rebound.  Best riding 116 coupe I ever owned was a stripped out 1.8 GT with 30mm bars and well sorted Koni's.  It really rode well, both on track and road.  Not at all harsh.

Actually, the harshness in 116's (and 105's for that matter) often comes from worn inner lower wishbone bushes.  Suggest if any work is being done on the front end that these are replaced as a matter of course.  In line with the basic premise that many, many older cars suffer from worn suspension bushes that if fixed can transform the car and the pleasure of driving them.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list