replacement engine for GT V6

Started by zippytheclown, February 04, 2015, 05:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippytheclown

anybody have an opinion on what a 147 gta would be worth without an engine? there are a couple around $8.5 to $11k, I'd think about buying one of those for the motor if I could ditch the rest of it for a sum, another option is a rebuild on the motor I have, I haven't sought any prices for that yet, anybody have an idea how much that might be provided my block is still sound? and who would be best to tackle that up here in brisbane?
'03 Holden Commy XYII Work Ute (Monday to Friday Car)
'04 147 GTA Sele (Saturday Car)
'07 Alfa GT V6 (Sunday Car)
'82 Alfasud 1.5 Sprint Veloce (Money Pit)

hi colcol
it had this strange knock in it it wasn't a death knock or valve knock. just one of those knocks at a certain rpm could be heard. we striped engine down reassembled as per fiat bulletin still there. put a new engine in it problem fixed. must of not cast properly from the factory just a guess. got sent back to fiat for quality control.

zippytheclown

autolusso have got second hand engines, plus freight and gst I could land for around $5k with new belts and pump fitted, would probably get a q2 at the same time.  Sad when it's cheaper to get one from the other side of the world eh?

Craig_m67

You won't know what your dealing with until you pull yours down and find out what's bent/broken/wrong.

A rebuilt engine, preferably yours is always going to be a better option in the long run than fitting an unknown. They're not complicated things, pull the heads, drop the sump and have a gander.

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10583

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

zippytheclown

ok, I have one last question.....

what is the difference between the GTA and the GT 3.2 V6 engines, carsales.com website has GT at 176kw and GTA at 184kw.  I'm told there is no fundamental difference in the engines so is it just the ECU tune? or inlet/exhaust differences?

colcol

I am not an expert on these engines, but i think i read somewhere that due to restricted engine bays, the manifolds are different, and that accounts for the different power outputs.
You might consider getting a V-6 motor and swapping the manifolds over from your car, don't know if the ECU would be different, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

poohbah

Not sure if it would apply just for an engine swap, but I think the GTA has a much shorter maintenance/service interval, half of the recommended time/km for a standard spec car. Which I presume would also carry over to major items like cambelts etc.

But if you're capable of doing stuff like an engine changeover yourself, that shouldn't be an issue.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

Zippy, you need to read this !!!!

I have had the EXACT same problem happen to me, and if it is just the CONRODS, it is a more simple repair than you think.

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10583

You would only need to remove sump, not all the other crap that I am doing, that's voluntary.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

zippytheclown

Thanks for that Bazz, my car is in getting a second hand engine I sourced in Adelaide fitted, just waiting on quaife and clutch pack to clear customs, got new belt and spark plugs, also new slotted and cross drilled rotors and pads front and back.  I'm hoping the replacement engine is ok, I saw a video of it running, it has a little more mileage on it than mine had, but only 107k so not too high.  I've had a couple of people ask me what I'm doing with the engine that was damaged, mechanic (Andrew at alfamotive) recommended I keep it and look at getting it repaired later.  Like you, I got it started, and actually moved the car out of the garage under it's own power to make it easier for the tow truck driver, but it had a nasty knocking sound, and the oil on the dipstick looked like full cream milk, from the water ingestion.  I don't have the skills or knowledge to rebuild the engine myself, so I'll probably get somebody else to do the work later, or not, maybe I'll just keep it in the back of the garage if the replacement motor is ok, as a reminder not to be a plonker and drive a car with the air cleaner 15cm off the ground through an 18cm puddle.  Funny thing is, while I was sitting stranded in the flood water, some d***heads looked at my situation, obviously judging the water depth on my car, and drove right past me

Beatle

Zippy, make sure you do a little prep on the old engine before you store it.  Otherwise when you go to tear it down in forty years to restore the then rare-as-hens-teeth Alfa GT you'll just find a lump of corroded iron and aluminium.   

Drain the oil and coolant and dry it as best you can then fill the whole thing with light oil (yes, even the cooling circuit).
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd