Odd dongles found in 147 glovebox

Started by Steve_T, January 31, 2015, 04:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_T

Sorry to ask such a left-field question, but I've just bought a second-hand 2002 147 from a dealer and found a pair of black key fob/dongle things in the glove box.  About the size of a present-day USB stick.

They look like the sort of ignition key that a similarly-aged Mercedes would use.  If anybody has time, there's a photo at:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17236053/image1%5B1%5D.JPG

I can't find anywhere they fit on my new car (to disable an after-market alarm etc) so I wonder if they are from another vehicle.  Before I go back to the dealer, does anybody recognise them as part of the 147's kit?

Many thanks

Garibaldi

Hi Steve,

I have a 2004 147 Twin Spark and it has two keys, one with remote central locking and one without. The fob/dongle things pictured are not part of the 147's standard kit. They look like some sort of device for an after market alarm or are from another vehicle. ??? 

colcol

It looks like a device for disabling car alarms, when you lose the remote or when the battery in the alarm remote goes flat.
I have a similar looking one in my car, you hide its female mate somewhere in the car and when you need to disable the alarm, just plug it in and your good to go.
See if your car has an alarm and find where the disabler is.
Or it could be something completely different, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

Dongle to control/reset a Meta alarm (OEM but dealer fit). I have one on my 156. Very little info about them.. I've disconected mine. Doesn't affect the immobiliser. Hold the dongle in the reciever (back of glovebox) to programme (on/off etc) the alarm.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Steve_T

Okay, that's great, thanks to you all. Mystery solved!

This forum is an excellent resource.

suzuiq

it doesn't matter how big your check book is, talent is the limiting factor.

colcol

Could be, except that there doesn't appear to be a button to press on it, more likely for alarm to bypass when remote is flat/lost, as in my own alarm on 33.
Welcome to Forum suzuiq, a picture of your 147, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

suzuiq

Quote from: colcol on February 12, 2015, 10:23:59 PM
Could be, except that there doesn't appear to be a button to press on it, more likely for alarm to bypass when remote is flat/lost, as in my own alarm on 33.
Welcome to Forum suzuiq, a picture of your 147, Colin.

haven't had a chance to take a photo of it yet will do soon
it doesn't matter how big your check book is, talent is the limiting factor.