Late GTV windsreen removal

Started by LukeC, January 29, 2015, 03:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LukeC

I saw this technique on another forum a while ago and tried it on the weekend to remove a genuine windscreen with integrated aerial.

This is only for the later type of windscreen and seal as fitted to plastic bumper GTVs.

• go down to Bunnings and buy 3 sets of cheap plastic putty spreaders: about $2.60 at set. Cut them with sissors in ~ 25mm wide pieces.
  • Pull away the door seals on the A pillars.
  • Peal back the vinyl on the trim to undo the three screws holding the trim on the A pillar to get access to the windscreen seal.
  • Starting at the centre of the top of the winscreen and working outwards, flex the inside of the seal away from the body/interior down back onto the windscreen.
  • Push the spreader inbetween the seal and body upwards and back towards the roof. The spreader will slip through and come out inbetween the roof panel and seal. Leave it in place.
  • Progressively work your way outwards from the centre with more spreaders to the corners and then downwards alternating side to side.
  • The screen will start moving out by itself with no force exerted on it and the spreaders will start to drop out of the top.
  • When the screen is mostly out (probably half way down the A pillar, then give it a push at the top - spreading the force as best you can. Can ten be lifted out.

This screen had never been out in 31 years and took me only 10 minutes to achieve this. The seal is undamaged and ready to use again...

No my job to put it back in, but I hear the cord method is pretty easy anyway.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

bteoh

Hi Luke,
That is great advice. I need to get my seal out to replace the headlining so this will definitely help me. Any pics of what the plastic putty spreaders look like ?

Cheers,
Brian

rowan_bris

What I have always used are plastic applicators shaped like a paint scraper, or a paint scaper or screwdrivers and sash cord to refit.