Alfa 159 Manual. Good choice for a first ALFA?

Started by obersturm, January 23, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obersturm

Hi all,

my name is Marty and I have been lurking for quite a while since I attended a sprint event at PI with you guys and the MX5 Club.

Signed up for the forum a while back and was wondering if you could tell me about your experience with the 2.4 diesel in your Alfas, please?

I have admired the 159 ever since it came out and it seems like they have come down to a level where I could buy one.

What is the story with those dual mass flywheels? Is it really that bad, that they need to be replaced basically every 6 years at a cost of around $3500?

I am not sure if there are any owners going to be at the Fed Square Display, but I was thinking of going to see if I can gather more intel on Alfa owner ship as this would be my first Alfa.

Every help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

colcol

Hey Marty, will see you at the Federation Square Display next Sunday, will be very surprised if there isn't a 159 Diesel there.
Around these traps is a certain bearded gentleman with a 159 Diesel manual, who i am sure will express an opinion on this matter.
We had a Technical day on late model Alfa Romeo's such as 159's and Brera's and Spiders at Alex Donnini at Malvern late last year, this event is something all owners and potential owners should attend.
In a few weeks we will be having another Technical Workshop visit at Alfamen in Brooklyn for late model Alfa Romeo's, potential owners and current owners are encouraged to attend, date to be confirmed.
Regarding Duel Mass Flywheels, there was a discussion on this about a year ago.
You could replace the Duel Mass Flywheel with a solid one and put up with the vibrations.
A place i know of had a Audi turbo motor with a duel Mass Flywheel and replaced it with a solid flywheel, which was half the weight and a quarter of the price and about 10 times the life.
Come along to a club meeting and ask a few questions, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

obersturm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I read about the tech day and was looking to attend, aswell.
I'll keep a look out for bearded dudes tomorrow. .... :o 8)
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

Craig_m67

Most recent diesel cars have a du all mass flywheel, issues with them are not limited to Alfa Romeo. That said I've never had an a issue with mine and have been through one clutch. Car has now down around 200,000ks with very few issues.

Not sure how a dual mass flywheel could cost $3,500k... They're only about $600./ at the most to buy ?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

Quick look on ebay, 156 diesel 1.9 dual mass flywheel about $600, for later model Alfa Romeo's such as the GM V-6, dual mass flywheels about $2000, i think the diesels are about the same price.
Then there is gearbox out for fitting, plus a new clutch and slave cylinder, could easily add up to $3500 for later models, such as 159.
You may wish to consider a Automatic, which is a six speed Japanese made Aisan, with no duel mass flywheel, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

obersturm

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 24, 2015, 05:56:48 PM
Most recent diesel cars have a du all mass flywheel, issues with them are not limited to Alfa Romeo. That said I've never had an a issue with mine and have been through one clutch. Car has now down around 200,000ks with very few issues.

Not sure how a dual mass flywheel could cost $3,500k... They're only about $600./ at the most to buy ?

I guess this is how?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-INC-FLYWHEEL-ALFA-ROMEO-159-2-4-JTD-DIESEL-06-15-/161489065471?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25997f95ff

EXEDY CLUTCH KIT (INC FLYWHEEL) ALFA ROMEO 159 2.4 JTD DIESEL (06-15) = AU $2,289.00
And it isn't even genuine from the dealer....
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

Craig_m67

That's a complete kit, from a non OEM supplier, in Australia. You'd be hard pressed to find a more expensive way to purchase it.  That said, I'm surprised it's so much more than the 1.9 version

Try this >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Alfa-Romeo-159-Dual-Mass-Flywheel-Clutch-Kit-Slave-Cyl-2-4-JTD-Diesel-/281358819491?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AAlfa+Romeo&hash=item41824ae0a3

Or this ... Just the flywheel as per the original question >> https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=11&secondary=127&opts=197&term=Alfa_Romeo_159_2.4_JTDM_Flywheels&cat=Flywheels

For about $600./
Best of luck.

obersturm

Hey Craig,

unsure what your point is? Are you saying if there is a noisy flywheel we change ONLY that and leave the clutch plates in there?

My logic would suggest you change everything that is conveniently accessible while the donk is out?

-EVERY part from the clutch set up incl. throw out bearing, slave cylinder, clutch plates ect.
-Clean/inspect intake manifold and possible delete of swirl flaps and EGR set up.
-clean/delete particle filter and have software adjusted accordingly
-change timing belt,water pump, adjusters and any other belt

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 24, 2015, 11:38:48 PM
That's a complete kit, from a non OEM supplier, in Australia. You'd be hard pressed to find a more expensive way to purchase it.  That said, I'm surprised it's so much more than the 1.9 version

Try this >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Alfa-Romeo-159-Dual-Mass-Flywheel-Clutch-Kit-Slave-Cyl-2-4-JTD-Diesel-/281358819491?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AAlfa+Romeo&hash=item41824ae0a3

Or this ... Just the flywheel as per the original question >> https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=11&secondary=127&opts=197&term=Alfa_Romeo_159_2.4_JTDM_Flywheels&cat=Flywheels

For about $600./
Best of luck.
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

Craig_m67

Sorry mate,
I was just trying to help (experience and facts an all)
I'll leave you with your passive aggressive posting for others.

Peace out

Evan Bottcher

The dual mass flywheel on our 2006 2.4 JTDm went kaput late last year at about 160,000km.  It started as a wibble as you disengaged/engaged the clutch, which turned into a knock.  We replaced the flywheel, clutch, and clutch release bearing.  Parts privately imported was approx $1500, then labour to fit.  Not cheap, but not a complete disaster.  I think if I was buying one with 150,000km on it I'd expect to be doing that job eventually.

It's not the most significant concern with the 2.4 JTDm.  I love ours, it's fantastic to drive, very well put together, practical and can tow the light race car.  However you need to deal with the EGR valve and swirl valves to make them run well, and make sure you do lots of freeway kms so you don't have DPF blockage issues.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

Has anyone converted their Diesel to a solid flywheel?, Repco sell kits for conversions from Duel Mass Flywheels to solid flywheels for mainstream utes four wheel drives and such.
I was always curious to hear from anyone who has done the conversion on any diesel and how much difference it makes.
I also heard that with a solid flywheel it transfers a lot of vibration through the gearbox at idle and can be hard on components.
It would be interesting to hear of any Alfa Romeo Diesels that have been converted, Colin.

obersturm

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 25, 2015, 06:35:31 PM
Sorry mate,
I was just trying to help (experience and facts an all)
I'll leave you with your passive aggressive posting for others.

Peace out

Hey Craig,

sorry if I offend. That is unintentional. English is a second language to me....

I appreciated all input and was really wondering what your point was when the clutch clearly is a costly piece of kit that will need to be fixed sooner or later on any of them 2.4 diesel cars I asked about?

And if the engine is out and you pay for someone to do it for you I wouldn't just do the flywheel.
So thanks and peace out to you, too ;)
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

obersturm

Hi all,

found this pic of Colin and me behind the bella machina...

Thanks and best regards

Obersturm

colcol

Good photo of uncle col col, in the red cap, as you can't see his big gut, as it is hidden by a GTV, Colin.