"is that our engine or someone else's that I can smell burning?"

It's called "Deja Vu".  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

torquemeister

Quote from: MattK on August 02, 2021, 10:19:17 AM
Did about 650km across the weekend on generally good surfaces, the Michelins were quieter and absolutely sure footed compared to the crap tyres on there previously. Only a little rain to see how they were in the wet but it felt much the same as the dry. Very happy with them overall, made the driving quite relaxing in a way that felt completely in control.
Hi Matt I had Michelin PSS fitted to my Prodrive 19" rims and replaced recently with P Zeros. We have a lot of coarse pitch roads ehre in Tassie and I can confirm that the P Zeros are much quieter than the Michelins.
Current Fleet:
2010 Brera V6 AWD Auto - Singapore
2008 Brera V6 AWD Auto - Tasmania
Previously:
1978 Alfetta GTV 2.0L - Adelaide

Craig_m67

Quote from: kaleuclint on July 26, 2021, 11:28:06 PM
If you can get 40,000km out of Pilot Sport 4s, I'm having them next.  That's over six years of motoring in my car...

I managed 36K km out of my last set of PS4's.
I just put on a fresh set I was so impressed, lovely silent, #hangyontractiongivingthings, lovely

(You may get even more, as mine goes flat out everywhere and lives in D)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

kaleuclint

Having been informed my Eagle F1s are knackered (though EVERY mechanic that sells tyres tells me this at every visit...), I see that factoring a $100 cashback deal from Michelin I can get a set of four PS4s for $269 each from my local Bob Jane.  This is the same as what my 'go-to' supplier Tempe Tyres charges before freight, and I assume fitting at Bob Jane is free?

Anyone aware of a better deal?
2011 159ti 1750TBi

MattK

That's pretty much exactly the deal I got. Be aware that the fitting is free but includes only wheel balancing, not wheel alignment which is ~$150 extra. I'm still very happy with the tyres.

kaleuclint

Quote from: MattK on October 01, 2021, 02:48:09 PM
That's pretty much exactly the deal I got. Be aware that the fitting is free but includes only wheel balancing, not wheel alignment which is ~$150 extra. I'm still very happy with the tyres.
Out of interest @MattK, what's the country of origin for your set?
2011 159ti 1750TBi

MattK

Sorry for the delay - I think they were made in Malaysia but I'd have to check to be sure.

Alfatango

Quote from: Alfatango on August 01, 2021, 05:43:51 PM
I tried the Dunlop Sp Sport and they have high grip levels but are pretty hard and a fair bit of road noise.

So far I would say this is the order I have tried on the alfa:

1. Pirelli p7
2. Continental C5
3. Hankook Ventus Evo
4. Dunlop Sp Sport
5. Bridgestone Potenza S001

The back story is, I had a few wines during lock downs while watching endurance racing and got too trigger happy on ebay.

I can definetelty recommend going 245/40/19!

Updated order:

1. Michelin PS4
2. Continental C6
3. Pirelli p7
4. Continental C5
5. Goodyear F1 directional
5. Hankook Ventus Evo
6. Dunlop Sp Sport
7. Bridgestone Potenza S001

MattK

A few months on I remain very very happy with the PS4 245/40/19s. Driving feels a lot more fluent and I haven't had a second of doubt that they would hold on, hard braking in the wet etc.
I suspect they may be wearing more quickly, but perhaps it's because the inner treads have very faint crosscuts even when new.

MattK

also I remembered to check and they were made in Thailand, not Malaysia

Maltalfisti

Might be due for a new set of tyres before next year.

However, we're going to be staying near Cradle Mountain (Tasmania) in winter for a few days. And no, I don't have a Q4 – just the standard 2.2 JTS which I hear is usually pretty crummy in the snow.

So, suggestions for good 19" tyres that might do me better in the snow? Can we get winter tyres here, like the folks in Canada?

...Edit: Or might it be worth temporarily swapping the 19" wheels for a smaller wheel that can accomodate snow-chains? Has anybody done this on their Ti?
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

kaleuclint

Does anyone have experience with Conti Premium Contact 6 on their 159ti??  I have these on my Mercedes and they are fine on that, but wondering if they are 'sporting' enough for the Alfa??

Alternatively interested in any feedback on PZero All Season (AS+MS).  I had P6000 mud+snow tyres on my Saab and they were great, but Saabs like the slush anyway.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

GTV6SA

I have Conti C5 on my 3.2 Ti , great tyres plenty of grip especially in these wet days, C6 are slightly softer compound similar to Michelin PS4s so may wear faster.

kaleuclint

Seems plenty of people on alfaowner fit CPC6 and are happy they did.  Our roads are worse than UK ones... 

About to pull the trigger.

And if anyone wants new PS4s in 245/40/18 I've just listed a set in the Buy/Swap/Sell thread.  Bought for Junior's girlfriend's Veloster Turbo but they're too wide!
2011 159ti 1750TBi

kaleuclint

Having checked my Mercedes that I could swear was on CPC6s; I now know it runs CSC5s all round with two more spare fronts stored in the garage...

CPC6 currently available in 245/40/19 98Y from the cousins in Sydney for $170.00 each on eBay.
2011 159ti 1750TBi