Tyres for 159TI 19"

Started by Martin S, January 02, 2015, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaleuclint

Continental 225/45R17 91Y ContiSportContact 5

https://www.ebay.com.au/usr/rolan-australia
$232 for the pair, but then had one of those 'get more money off' things you add at checkout. 

So $197.20 for two, with free delivery.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

kaleuclint

We could go for a bulk buy, but know I baulk around the $900 mark.  Hence happy to buy and stockpile.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

MattK

Well after assuming Bob Jane would rip me off, they ended up being the cheapest (other places had similar prices but then tacked on $200 for delivery at checkout). I got a quote for set of 4 x 245/40ZR19 98Y for $1080 fitted. Since the previous owner had fitted junk Chinese made tyres (presumably because he didn't intend to keep the car) I am really looking forward to the difference.

kaleuclint

That is a phenomenon I will never understand, and it happens a lot.  If the used car I am looking at is fitted with Wind Harmony Excellar GTs, the first thing I'll do is factor the cost of a set of 'proper' replacement tyres and inject that price reduction into the negotiation.  More likely is I'll wonder what quality oil is in the engine?  And I walk away...
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on July 22, 2021, 08:37:51 PM
More likely is I'll wonder what quality oil is in the engine?

Chinese oil?  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

http://www.sinopec.com/listco/en/products_service/lubricants/auto_lube/gasoline_eng_o/20161114/news_20161114_369168539161.shtml
Could be fine for all I know.

Just found out Junior has fitted a set of Nankang semi-slicks to his road-going track car.  Aren't these known as "ditchfinders" over on alfaowner??
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on July 23, 2021, 07:16:44 PM
Just found out Junior has fitted a set of Nankang semi-slicks to his road-going track car.  Aren't these known as "ditchfinders" over on alfaowner??

Again, "What could possibly go wrong?"  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Pseudonym

Quote from: kaleuclint on July 23, 2021, 07:16:44 PM

Mate has run Nankang ARs before and did very well for the $, they did go hard fairly quickly though. Generally people who run semi slicks on the streets naturally gravitate towards ditches no matter the tire....

FWIW my set of Pilot Sport 4S on the 159ti have about 50% left on the fronts, 90% on the rears after 20,000km. Front camber adjustment arms were done maybe 3000k ago, camber -0.50 . Fantastic tire, but I think the 159 weight just eats away at everything.

kaleuclint

If you can get 40,000km out of Pilot Sport 4s, I'm having them next.  That's over six years of motoring in my car...
2011 159ti 1750TBi

MattK

fellas I'm sorry I let you down, I passed on the nitrogen inflation which was offered to me "because I drive around town a lot" ...

bazzbazz

Quote from: MattK on July 28, 2021, 10:08:54 AM
fellas I'm sorry I let you down, I passed on the nitrogen inflation which was offered to me "because I drive around town a lot" ...

Huh?  ???
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

MattK

Yeah I got the pitch, "so do you mostly drive around town?" "Yes," I said. "So that means I'll probably fill these tyres with nitrogen then." "No thanks, I'm fine with regular air."

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfatango on August 01, 2021, 05:43:51 PM
The back story is, I had a few wines during lock downs while watching endurance racing and got too trigger happy on ebay.

And also ordered way too much more wine?  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

MattK

Did about 650km across the weekend on generally good surfaces, the Michelins were quieter and absolutely sure footed compared to the crap tyres on there previously. Only a little rain to see how they were in the wet but it felt much the same as the dry. Very happy with them overall, made the driving quite relaxing in a way that felt completely in control.

MattK

Agreed, a HUGE difference.
Also at one point my partner said to me "is that our engine or someone else's that I can smell burning?" so I welcomed her to the mindset of the Alfa driver. (to be fair we were about 10km from the place where one of the hoses came unclipped from the turbo and we had to limp home for an hour and a half)