Tyres for 159TI 19"

Started by Martin S, January 02, 2015, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaleuclint

Quote from: torquemeister on November 23, 2017, 10:02:37 PM
(wet roadholding is critical in Sodden Singapore).
Have you been playing up on the PIE, Simon?  I'm not sure I've ever shifted into fourth in SG...

My Conti CPC6s are now fitted on my Benz and suit the car perfectly as they are unnoticeable.  No noise, no harshness, no issues in the wet or under cornering / braking.  They just do the job.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Colin Edwards

Well after more 40,000klm of use I've finally had to replace the P Zero Nero's. 
Opted for these new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 235/40/19.  Early days yet and comparing them to 2 year old and very tired Pirellis is academic, however they are definately noisier!   On the hand they seem to be a bit more communicative.  Wet weather performance also seems a bit better to what I remember the Pirellis were like when new.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

JimB

Hi All, My 08/09 159 JTS Ti Sedan 2.2 six speed is almost ready for its third set of tyres. The original owner replaced the first set of Pirellis at 20,000km at a cost of nearly $2,000-!! On the second set, now Pirelli Cinturato P7, I might just get to 45,000km. So at an average of about 22,000km per set I wonder what we are paying for in Australia. It obviously isn't durability. Goodness know what tyre life Europeans would get at motorway speeds. My 159 has probably never seen 130kph.  I will at changeover time not be paying $400/tyre. The Kumho option sounds like a proposition to me. Is that 245 size on the tyre placard and if not would the wider tyre be legal and acceptable to the insurer? Jim

kaleuclint

The tyres might run faster on Euro motorways Jim, but the road surfaces in general are much better than in Australia.  I can't remember ever needing new tyres!

I had P7s on my 2.2 159 because I wouldn't shell out for PZero Nero.  I thought they were good but I sold the car well before they needed replacement. 

2011 159ti 1750TBi

JimB

Hi All, Just FYI. After much research of my own in Adelaide  I decided to buy Pirelli Cinturato P7's, 235. These were fitted, balanced & aligned for $1312- at BJTM, Gouger St Adel. The main reason for my choice was to avoid any disappointment with possible harshness, from scalloping on cheap tyres or a conflict with the insurance co over the larger 245 size, which do have a different diameter. In the end I figured that despite the short life I'd stick with the known quantity for the sake of perhaps a couple of hundred dollars. Jim

Skypilot

On my Brera I replaced the stock 235/45/18 with 245/40/18. Tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 4... Can I take a moment to say how amazing these tyres are. Very grippy, very quiet, and very comfortable. Just waiting for the test of time now on longevity.

One disadvantage I noticed with getting wider tyres is that the extra 5mm that sticks out of the fender (front tyres), whilst small, seems to kick more dirt onto the bottom corner of the car. I've noticed since installing the tyres that there are more chips a day scratches in that area... And while there's the plastic sticker protecting it, there are exposed areas of paint which were chipped for the first time. I was shocked as I've never had chips there. Anyway I'll keep watch and may have to add more clear vinyl if it persists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winno

I'm with Skypilot on going 245s.
Saved me many dollars and I cannot see ANY drawback.
I went Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2 on my Ti.

gbymb

Kuhmo 245/40 r19. I put these on my 2.4 TI and they're fine if you don't put heavy things in the boot...unfortunately. They're nice and quiet, but I'm going to have to look at how to get a little bit more clearance in the tail. BTW I've still got the Pzeros on the front. about 10K left on them. anyone got some adjustable shocks they'd like to sell? :-)

Micheloaks

As per my intro post Friday, fitted Michelin PS4's , mainly by lack of choice and time, compounded By the necessity to complete rego/plate changeover by C.O.B . They replaced the Hankook Ventus 245 40 19's  , $1435 fitted balanced . No one offering  4-4-3 deal.

The Hankooks were by measuring the tread Block depth, approx 20% worn. Though all 4 inside edges scrubbed. I replaced Lower control arms , on purchasing car and prior to tyre swap. I might look at swapping over bushes to poly

Stu159

I got sick of replacing tyres from inner wear and arguing with tyre places about camber and hearing that their guy had been fitting tyres for decades, so he knew better, only to revisit inner edge tyre wear. That was when each tyre was over $400 and there were limited options for the R18. I replaced all bushes with poly' and have never had a problem or had to replace a set of tyres since. That was x 3-4 years ago, but I do less than x 5000k annually. I'm on Pirelli Cinturato and they hang on really well, no noticeable noise from the tyres, but the poly bushes aren't exactly quiet. Big improvement on handling from the poly bushes though. Once the OEM ones got to about 80-90000k, the car didn't handle as well, but the poly bushes changed that. Mine are Powerflex from about 2017, but there have been upgrades since

Stu
Now: 159 V6 Q4 (2006)
Past: Alfetta GTV 2000L (1980) chrome

torquemeister

Ive had both 245/40 and 235/35 on both Breras Ive owned. Fitted to the Prodrive S rims. You wont have a problem with the wheel arch liners but theres been a lot of comments about inner tyre wear. I had this in the past but since last wheel alignment (which was done to the Prodrive Brera S spec - not standard setup) wear is minimised.
AlfaOwner has a lot of discussion about this. It seems that 0 Toe-In is the way to go on these cars to offset this issue. My car has the full Prodrive suspension setup (lowered like the TI but with revised Bilstein shocks and coils.
Ive used both P Zeros and Michelin Pilot Super Sport. both excellent tyres but soft compound meaning early wear. The Micheline PSS in my opinion are noisier than the PZS tyres and I will revert to Pirelli next changeover.
Here in Tassie its about AWD, slimy uneven icy roads so will not compromise on handling and safety for a little more wear.
Current Fleet:
2010 Brera V6 AWD Auto - Singapore
2008 Brera V6 AWD Auto - Tasmania
Previously:
1978 Alfetta GTV 2.0L - Adelaide

kaleuclint

Zero toe-in a must.

Looking for a new set now, and Pilot Super Sport seems very reasonably priced for something "fitted to Ferrari 599".  I gather the trade-off is that they won't last!  Does anyone have an actual mileage figure for these on a 159??

Otherwise it'll be more Eagle F1s, but v.5 or 3 in lieu of the v.2s on the car.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

soakk

Recently swapped out a hodge podge of 245/40 R19 on my 159 Ti to 235/45 R19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050. Amazing difference. Car feels much more responsive. I definitely recommend sticking to 235 measurement. 245/40 is definitely cheaper, but to me the difference was very noticeable in this car.
RIP
'83 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Current
'07 159 Ti V6

Maltalfisti

I have the Kumho's too and no problem after 13,000kms.

From what I understand (don't quote me) they are like a cheaper version of Pirellis. So, not quite so good of course, but better than many others.

They take me around the roundabouts down this way, in the wet, at a good speed. Just saying...  ;D

How often do you folks find yourself pumping up your tyres?
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

Maltalfisti

If I go in to get my wheels re-balanced soon, would it be worth asking them to swap the tyres around from front to back, and vice versa?
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...