Alfa Racing within AROCA Winton Sprints

Started by Neil Choi, December 28, 2014, 08:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

With the dawning of a new year comes new ideas (to us in Vic anyway).

A small group of us have been discussing and working on a simple idea of going Alfa racing during the Victorian club sprint events.  In no way as an opposition or alternative to the Veloce Racing Association concept which I support and participate wholeheartedly, I am making arrangements to run a one day race meeting for Alfa's during our sprint days at Winton under an AASA permit.  For 2015, we have scheduled two days, 29 March and 2 August.  Our new concept is to conduct our normal sprint events for the normal sprinters and for those eligible Alfa racers, there will be a separate race event where there will be one practice/qualification session in the morning, followed by 2-4 race events during the day.

The aim is to provide an event for those, with sufficient experience but their Alfa's do not comply with any open racing categories, to do some friendly and competitive Alfa racing locally and at a reasonable entry fee.  We have set out a set of simple rules and guidelines to start with and it is a WIP document employing the KISS principle.

However, we do not wish to over develop the rules such that you need a law degree to race.  We will let your Alfa spirit judge yourself on your improvement and modifications on your Alfa.  If you really want to win that badly, by all means spend your precious $$$ to win the $5 trophy at the end.  The aim is to have some safe fun, racing with your Alfa mates, win or lose, fast or slow, front or back of grid, it doesn't matter, there will always someone to race with.

At this stage, I am seeking expression of interest and/or commitment from both competitors and officials.  We need sufficient numbers and commitment from both groups in order to move ahead in the arrangements.  As a first instance, we need about a minimum of 12 racers as a demonstration and proof of concept.  The number and level of experience of officials will be greater and the more the merrier.  I have commitment from some key officials thus far so that's a start.

Under the safety requirements, we will be using the TrackSa light system, along with possible flag marshals and Race Receiver Communication system, a one way communication system between Race Control and the drivers.

Contact me to discuss any particular part of this idea.

neilchoi116@gmail.com or 0433  11 66 47

==========================================================

Alfa Racing within AROCA Winton Sprints

In 2015 we have two Winton Sprint days scheduled - Sunday March 29 (with DT on Saturday March 28) and Sunday August 2. 

Many club members have Alfa race cars which do not comply with open racing categories but have competed in sprints for many years.

As a new concept to the club and a step forward, we are planning to trial an All Alfa Racing event within the sprint events for 2015.

Similar to the Veloce Racing Association concept, we want to give Alfa club members a chance to race at a competitive level amongst ourselves, competing with similar machinery.  You don't need to be fast but just have the enthusiasm and a suitably prepared Alfa.  There will always be someone to race with regardless of where you are on the grid even BOG racing down the back.

The aim is to keep it safe and simple (KISS), so there is no sheep station to win - not even bragging rights.  It is intended to be fun, to come home with a straight car and to have some laughs. Penalties will apply for panel contact and over-aggressive racing.

Vehicle eligibility:

-   Alfa Romeo chassis with an Alfa Romeo engine only
-   No full or partial space frame
-   No slicks
-   No aerodynamic enhancements or wings other than factory supplied
-   Original suspension pick up points
-   Vehicle eligibility will be at the discretion of the event organizer
-   Modifications will be judged at the discretion of the event organizer.

Classes:

Vehicle classification will be at the discretion of the event organizer

Class A:

- 2 Litre and under
- must comply with CAMS regulations for Historic Group S, Historic Group N, Improved Production or Marque Sports.

Class B:

-   Over 2 Litre
-   And any Alfa car that doesn't fit in Class A

Vehicles with turbo charged engines will be classified by engine capacity multiplied by a factor of 1.7.

Handicap:

The event organizer reserves the rights to handicap any vehicle in order to keep the competition close.

Driver eligibility:

To ensure driver safety, it is paramount that only known experienced drivers enter in circuit racing.

-   Minimum sprint experience with AROCA:  5 sprints.
-   Or:  demonstrable history of circuit racing.
-   Drivers with no previous racing experience must carry a red P-plate for the first 12 months.

Driver eligibility is at the discretion of the event secretary.

Drivers must hold an AASA national circuit license (or CAMS equivalent).

Scrutiny and Safety:

Vehicles and safety equipment must meet the standard AROCA sprint safety requirements as listed in supplementary regulations.

Additional equipment required for circuit racing:

-   Minimum half roll-over cage.  (Full cage recommended)
-   Safety clothing – compliant race suit, boots, and gloves.
-   Front head restraint (recommended but not compulsory)

Vehicles must be presented with an AASA vehicle passport or CAMS logbook.

Obtaining a AASA National Racing License

The national racing license application form is available from the AASA website

(link: http://australianautosportalliance.com/category/cars) and (http://australianautosportalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/NATIONAL-RACE-LICENCE-APPLICATION.pdf).

If you have not previously held a CAMS full racing license you need to provide details of your sprinting experience.  You do not have to participate in an observed license test.  The license fee is $100.

The license application form must be supplied with a completed medical certificate.  The form is attached with the license application form.  This will require an extended appointment with your regular doctor, they may require you to fax/email the form in advance.  The appointment usually costs approximately $100.

Obtaining a AASA Vehicle Passport (Log book)

If your race car is not log booked with CAMS, you'll need to apply for a AASA Vehicle Passport.  The application form is also available at the AASA website and linked here

(http://australianautosportalliance.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/VEHICLE-PASSPORT-APPLICATION.pdf).

Include three photos of your car, as listed in the application form.  There is no requirement for the vehicle to be inspected.  The vehicle passport fee is $30.

Highly recommended to send your applications at least a month before the first event, as processing is not rapid!

Evan Bottcher

Well I'm excited! Any questions? I have had the AASA circuit racing license for a couple of years, the process is straightforward. If you've got any questions give me a ring 0400 013 175. It would be good to get started straight after Christmas to avoid a rush before the event. Likewise for vehicle logbook.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

giulia_veloce

A great idea Evan

AROCA NSW had a supersprint and a race meeting on the same day many years ago.
Was affordable and lots of spectators.
Maybe 3 Classes= Veloce style,,bring what you have,and supersprint,,,all on the same day

A weekend event would be better for interstate competitors.

Keep looking into it Evan

Robert

Neil Choi

Alfa Racing at Winton Supplementary Regulations and Entry Form attached below.

Looking like a fantastic field of All Alfa Racing from all the whispers going around.

On line entry here:

https://www.motorevententry.org/

Neil Choi

Just an update, got a health number of entries.

If you are still considering, don't leave it too late, you need to get your license and logbook in order now.

alfagtv152

Hi Neil,
Sounds good and I will mention it again to our members but there are very few who qualify here.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Ray Pignataro

Three cheers to Neil for the implantation of alfa racing within aroca winton sprints

Evan Bottcher

Fantastic outcome, a successful new venture for AROCA Vic to run a grid start race format within the schedule of our regular Winton sprint day.  Excellent idea conceived by our competition secretary Neil Choi, backed by an enthusiastic team of officials the new format was executed very smoothly and offered very entertaining racing for drivers and spectators alike.  As a driver there's nothing like lining up on the grid in a group of Alfa Romeo race cars, and when that flag drops the rush of adrenalin is huge.

This format WILL be repeated and will only be enhanced with more competitors.  Alfa Racing offers a very low-cost entry to circuit racing for those who are experienced sprint competitors and looking for the next step.  The only additional equipment required to race is a roll cage and a race suit/gloves/boots.  License and vehicle log-book under AASA are simple and inexpensive to attain, and no expensive license test is required for experienced drivers.  If you want to know how easy it is, just ask me and I'll talk you through it.

So no excuses!  Time to get excited and come out for the next round...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Congratulations Neil and everyone involved. Now, where do I get a roll cage fitted to my 105?!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

Neil Choi

Next Alfa Racing is August 2 at Winton.

You have 3 months to prepare your car and get your documents ready.  NO EXCUSES.  I have heard them all before.

Neil Choi

Just on 2 months until the next Alfa Racing.

Who's in?

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

My car is all repaired and I will be there! Can't wait to do it all again. I have a championship to defend haha!

Neil Choi

Up for grabs, the champignonship trophies, under 2L and over 2L (including anything we deem excessive).