Window tinting

Started by jdk, December 19, 2014, 12:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdk

Hi, I am looking to have the windows profesionally tinted on my new giulietta and looking for some advice. I was advised recently that I should be seeking someone who has recent experience with the type of car as they will have the requisite knowledge and templates to complete efficiently without damage.
Any hints or suggestions welcomed.
John
Giulietta Progression 1.4 Multiair Turbo TCT

colcol

You are right, find someone who has done this car before and they will know the pitfalls.
On the 156 ebay website, you can buy pre-cut kits, i suppose the new Giulietta would be the same.
When cleaning the film, use a special non harsh ammonia free cleaner, which is available at window tinters.
Ask your insurance company first, if it is ok, just so you don't get any nasty surprises.
I had my 2 front windows done 35% and the back doors 50%.
Go with the tinter that has the best warranty, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

Did you buy from a dealer? Ask them who they recommend. Even if you didn't buy from a dealer, you can ask Lance Dixon or Zagame who they recommend.

Years ago, I had Lance Dixon arrange tinted window pre-delivery for me on my old 156.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

Usually the Dealers won't tell you who does their window tinting or fitting of accessories, they will tell you that they do it, but they get a sub contractor to do it.
And they will add their margin on the bill, which is all good, as they have worked out which sub contractor does a good job, so you are using their experience, as opposed to you going to dodgy window tinters who break things on your new Alfa Romeo, as its the first time they have seen one, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Potsie

Following on from what Colin said, we had the wife's new giulietta's windows tinted by the dealer. I think they wanted to charge about $500, but the wife talked them down to about $400 (which from my googling and a couple of phone calls to tinting firms research was probably still about $100 too much). We went for as dark are legally possible and the result is very good. My other thought was as the tinting has been done as part of the new car purchase, it would mean we would have some recourse with the dealer should a problem arise with the tinting in the next few years.  Potsie. 
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

jdk

Thank you for the responses and advice. I have been advised to try Tint-a-car at Ringwood as they handle one of the city Alfa dealerships and are experienced with Giuliettas.
Spoke with them and they confirmed that they are experienced with Alfas and do actually support an unnamed city Alfa dealership. Quoted me $365.00 (normally $465.00 but have a $100 off sale going).
It is booked for next week but just wondering if anyone has any experience/feedback on this particular franchise at Ringwood?
thanks
John
Giulietta Progression 1.4 Multiair Turbo TCT

obersturm

Hi there,

if you are not done, yet it might pay to check out my mate Stan who runs Eastern Window Tinting. He has done my wife's Zafira and the result was great.

Mention "Speedster Marty" send you and he will give you a good discount :-*

Not sure if he has done an Alfa like yours before, but people trust him with Lambos- enough said...

http://www.eastern-window-tinting.com.au/

Stan Tel: 04 zero zero 930 356
Thanks and best regards

Obersturm