Alfadiag

Started by sportyone, November 17, 2014, 10:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportyone

is there a Alfadiag or multiscan thingo out there that works with an Mac laptop ?

cheers

Cool Jesus

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/general-alfa-discussion/349919-alfa-mac-owners-diagnostic-softwares.html

You run a parallel windows operating software and then just choose your diagnostic software as you wish
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

a 3pin plug cable apparently is what you need to for early 98 spiders,

do l need to buy one, anyone know the right one to get ?

I have found very few dealers or mechanics even have the 3 pin one to fit !

seen one on eBay with 3pins required & seem to have also 2 wires, that need to be connected to a

battery ? how does that work,  how does it connect to laptop ?

is there another cable link ?

Cool Jesus

Sporty you need a module. I think the kkl cable is the one, just the straight cable don't get the one with switches on it. the kkl connects to your computer, 3 pin cable to the kkl module and vehicle diagnostic port/connector and the red/black wires to a power source. I rigged up a cig plug to the two wires. You may need a USB extension cable to reach the ABS  if using the cig lighter for power. Each cable can be sourced for about $5 each.  I believe the power source is required for the module to work its magic. As ecu's progressed the power was just incorporated into the 16+ pins that connectors evolved into.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

How do you read a ECU engine management eeprom chip to record or print out the snall data file for sending by email ?

Who would be able to do this for me in Melbourne Australia.

Just ordered a 3 Pin cable to suit my 98 Alfa Spider, as no one seems to have this specific early 3 Pin cable,

well, all the alfa dealers & workshops etc I have tried, they either have never seen one or they have one at home,

but can't find it ?

I've tried also to get a windows program myself onto my MacPro so I can download Multiscan software, but each time I try,

I end up getting to pirate sites where the software doesn't work or it downloads incorrectly.

So far I have Utorrent, Virtual Box etc but no joy with windows, why do people who post videos on

how to do this stuff,

always post out of focus videos of their screen, & you cant read what it is they are pointing to ?

Geez, I hate all the crap online, it does my head in !.

your post was at least clear enough, looks like l still have to buy the cable with a USB fitting on the

end now though ? 

there are apparently Bluetooth modules which connect with Mac laptops for about $50 if they work ?

Cool Jesus

Sporty, utorrent and sites akin to this is the cesspool for virus and malware sharks. I bet most involved a financial commitment for either download or joining fee of sorts, there just scum trying to make a dodgey buck.

I typed windows for Mac in google search and the first page was full of legitimate sites and tutorials on how to do it. User beware if your trying to grab it on the sly, no critisicm, I've been there too.
My advice is to pay for something legitimate if it isn't freeware.

It's odd that the Alfa mechs don't have the 3 pin cable ??? I guess it's an indicTor of how long they've been working on Alfas.
You need to use software in conjunction with the cables. I assumed as you named them in your original post you were aware of their existence. Search alfaobd and/or multiecuscan, both program's are virtually identical in all aspects. I'm using multiecuscan at home.

Bluetooth is ok, although there is the chance that info could be missed. Ever had a bluetooth song go weird on the stereo. I don't think bluetooth is yet stable enough for this sort of diagnostic platform and you still have to plug in a connector. I guess I'm just old school and prefer hard wired data connections  8)
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

yeah me to, old school that is :)

yeah I am happy to buy the correct gear,

just thought I'd try a little something first but it just soaked up far to much time with all the mucking about !

might even buy a small cheap PC laptop just for this purpose, save cluttering up my MacPro with junky stuff !  what windows should i get that works with multiecuscan ?

I better buy that other cable you suggested also, KKL was it ?

Cool Jesus

I've attached a pdf on the systems and cable requirements for diagnostics on your spider. Jump onto ebay and search for the specific cable you'd like to use. Food for thought, Is this the only Alfa you will ever own? If there's a chance of future Alfas I'd suggest looking at the full set of MES cables which will cover you for any and all Alfa OBD compliant vehicles. Or just get the one cable for now and see how you go (its only $5 or so).

MES works on the current windows platform, you just need to install and program which is explained on their website and is very easy to do (It comes with the program, it just needs to be activated basically. You'd be hard pressed to find anything with an older version of windows. As far as a laptop, it just needs to have a usb connector. If this is the only purpose for the laptop, just get the cheapest available and don't fill it up with any other programs (except for antivirus of course)

Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

thanks heaps mate,

I will buy a cheap small windows laptop just for the Alfa car stuff .

just ordered them & a chip programmer / reader,

I need to read my chip to forward a file to chip man in CZ,

so he can build a chip to work for my car !

I mentioned more about this on AROC forum :)

cheers