Alfetta wheel variations ...

Started by AlfaACT, November 12, 2014, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaACT

Alfetta Gurus,

I have a set of Alfetta wheels from a 70s GTV (three "fingers")
and another from a sedan - age uncertain (five "fingers").

Note "fingers" between the bolt holes ...
The wheels appear to otherwise be the same, same number of fins/ribs/spokes and same dimensions - radial and offset...

Do the pattern differences relate to the model (GTV vs Sedan), does it relate to the age of the wheel (early vs late Alfetta?) or is it just chance ?

Ciao,
Just Curious.

Cool Jesus

Hey AlfaACT, are they the same manufacturer?
These are a turbina-style rim for the Alfettas, the three finger should be CAMPAGNOLO? The manufacturer's name should be cast on the outer rim. There's ever so slight casting differences about, such as the fingers between the bolt holes, slight differences in PCDs, fill ins between the ribs/fins and even slight profile differences in the height of the ribs/fins. Can't say I've come across the five finger version for the Alfetta, but anything is possible.

Having posted the above, I've come across a few of the five finger versions on Italian parts sites. Looks like I may have been on the right path as the sellers are calling them CROMODORAs which was the other manufacturer for Alfa rims back then. I don't believe they were destined for any particular model, it would have been pot luck as to when the manufacturer supplied the castings, to when the production line installed the item... although they do tend to be within the mid to late 70's time bracket as far as installation, so the Alfetta coupes and sedans in that age bracket were the recipients of this turbina-style rim.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

giulia_veloce

Have  customer with an original Alfetta GT 1976= 3 fingers.
later model GTVs had 5 fingers.1977 + later
Same wheel,,just different fingers.(as you call them )

ALF750

My '79 Alfetta has the Cromodora Turbina (5 fingers) option.   Pressed steel was standard?

AlfaACT

Thanks CJ & Rob,

A bit more info, for anyone following:
The three finger rims are off a '77 GTV, but of course may not have been on it originally ... ?

Both sets have "Campanatura 45" embossed on the outer edge of the rims
The three finger version also has Cromodora embossed
The five finger version has "Alfa Romeo" embossed

The three finger rims appear to be from a "cleaner" or higher precision mould ... ?

ciao,
Peter.

Cool Jesus

'Campanatura' is an Italian word for camber, although I believe that it may relate to the rim's offset, hence the '45'. Do these rims have an offset of 45mm?
Your eye for detail is spot on though, the Cromodora were a high pressure injection casting with a high magnesium content, as opposed to the rougher aluminium sand casting of the Campagnolo. As such the Cromodora is slightly lighter (~250gm) due to the magnesium content.

There's a Qld member that did a little write up on a set of rim refurbishment along with some research info on these rims (see attachment). Not knowing the background of your unmarked rims, I would guess they are Campagnolo rims, perhaps the marking may have been filled for some reason by a previous owner?

I was about to also add some URL's of the rims I found, but I'm finding that 3 or 5 fingers seems to be random between the manufacturers. Its quite possible that the sand cast producer had a few mold makers and while Mario made the 3 finger molds, Luigi made the 5 ???

Here's what I'm talking about
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/10308-fs-brand-new-set-campagnolo-alfetta-turbina-wheels.html

http://www.autobelle.it/annunci/vendo_alfaromeo_alfetta_cerchi_lega_millerighe_cromodora_italia_111985.php#photoexpand

I've also added a pic of my Alfetta GT Campagnolos
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

AlfaACT

I've had another look at the 5 finger wheels:

The only branding seems to be "Alfa Romeo" on the outer rim.
I cant find Campagnolo anywhere.
But, between the fins towards the centre, is a small diamond with the letters FPS inside - see pic.

And I have found some Cromodora wheels with no "fingers" at all ...

PS the article on refurbishing wheels was very good. Thanks for the link CJ :-)

Peter.

GR-124

Quote from: giulia_veloce on November 12, 2014, 07:04:39 AM
Have  customer with an original Alfetta GT 1976= 3 fingers.
later model GTVs had 5 fingers.1977 + later
Same wheel,,just different fingers.(as you call them )

FYI, My 76 GT has three fingers. It seems to be original

Cool Jesus

If there's casting miss-matches, there's every chance its been bogged up during a refurbishment. Back then, there was really no great gain in creating copies of rims, production methods were labour intensive and nothing like theya re now. Alternatively, it may have been a casting issue for a set run? Its odd that the rim size doesnt follow the Alfa Romeo casting also. I don't believe in any case that either rim was for a specific Alfetta or market, they were just fitted as they were delivered. If anything you may have a set with a minor casting flaw, but they'd be the genuine, period correct rims for the Alfetta. Indeed, I'm sure owners have driven around with a mixed set of rims and had no idea at all as they're so similar.

Hang on, just had a closer look at your last image, another odd feature with those rims is the lettering being raised, rather than stamped into the casting? Curious... those fingers do look very similar to the 105 series trubinas, with the alternative filled in fins. Is the PCD definately 98, not 108? Any markings on the inside of the rim?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

AlfaACT

PCD is definitely 98 for all of these rims.
There are casting marks on the inside. No branding, but it does look like part numbers.
Will provide details/pic tomorrow ...

What do we make of the "no" fingers version?
I suspect that they might be very early ones ...

Now the curious thing about these (no finger) ones is that the steel insert(s) in the bolt holes appears to be two piece things! On the outer edge is a simple ring to guide or align the nut and on the inner edge is the cone for tightening the nut against. If so, they must use fairly long shanked nuts ... ?