159 1750 rbi with black wheels the spare is different

Started by peterdal, October 28, 2014, 12:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterdal

i have  a 159 1750 tbi i purchased from new, i have never used or opened the spare wheel compartment, the other day i went to change a wheel only to find that the spare mag was a different mag, silver not black and had been used but not by me.  has anyone come across this before? i would imagine that the spare would be the same as the mags on the car i.e. black? i purchased the 159 from Lance Dixon.
thanks

poohbah

Sounds like someone has pulled a swifty.

At least you have a full size spare. We 156 owners have to make do with space savers.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Cool Jesus

It's not unusual for a second hand vehicle to come without a spare. Dealers must sell their vehicles in a roadworthy condition so either previous owner upgraded the rims or dealer added a compatible spare wheel which was missing. Even if you did point it out to dealer prior to purchase, can't say it would have effected the negotiated price. So long as it's legal, just treat it as a spare. It will force you to get the other wheel fixed sooner  8)
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

aggie57

Certainly sounds odd. It's not unusual for manufacturers to use a different spare wheel style to the road wheels fitted to the car from new, or perhaps fit a steel spare when the road wheels are alloy. But a used spare in a new car?  Very odd.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

poohbah

Did any of the 159s come with black alloys as standard? Maybe the dealer modded the car prior to sale, but left the original spare in place?

Or maybe they did pull a swift one and swapped out your original spare for a second hand one at some point when it was in being serviced. I suggest you raise it with the dealer manager. Might not get an explanation, but it will at least put them on notice and make sure if any nonsense is going on they don't target you in future.

I'd also suggest you check everything on your car closely before and after servicing going forward.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Garibaldi

Having worked in the motor industry for a number of years this really doesn't surprise me. Many a salesman has grabbed a spare wheel from any car to make sure his new/ used car delivery has one. I suggest you take this up with the dealer. Good luck  :)

alfamisa

Quote from: poohbah on October 29, 2014, 04:07:02 PM
Did any of the 159s come with black alloys as standard? Maybe the dealer modded the car prior to sale, but left the original spare in place?

Most likely it is one of the late release South Africa spec Ti that indeed had unique to any Alfa black turbine mags in 18", a far cry from the local spec 19" Ti silver spoke wheels.

I'll just say some sneaky stuff has gone on at LD and except for some that get their backs scratched by them and sing their praises they are shifty. So peterdal if you don't get a suitable response from Lance Dixon junior write to the president of Fiat Chrysler and explain your disgust. She should sort it.

Oh maybe not, just read Veronica Johns has resigned and so has corporate affairs director Karla Leach. Best you try to appeal to LD's conscience, it didn't work before but looks like the instability at head office may make it hard to take it further.
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

Cool Jesus

Well is the 159 purchased new or used? If new, get yourself straight back to the dealership WTF and don't take no for an answer. But if the 159 is used? Well anybody's guess then. Chalk it down to experience and be thankful it wasn't missing.

EDIT oh hell, I just re-read the original post. Peter, get yourself down to the dealership, grab the salesman and get it sorted to your satisfaction. No the spare should be the same rim if not a space saver wheel. I'm sure it's a stuff up that they'd want to rectify.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Craig_m67

When was the car purchased?
Has it been serviced by only one dealer?

Which wheel should it be?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

peterdal

hi all thanks for all your replies i am still sorting this out with the dealer as alfa customer service is totally useless

kaleuclint

Out of interest, what size is the non-conformant spare wheel?  Been meaning to get a full size spare.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

benj

Hi Peter,

Sorry I missed your earlier request to get in touch. Board often doesn't tell me when I've got messages to look at for some reason.

To answer your question, my 159 TBI Ti came with 5 identical 18" black mag wheels. As alluded to by an earlier responder, mine is also likely a South African spec as there are a few differences between it and the Australian "standard" advertised.

Good luck with Lance Dixon, and sorry again for the tardiness.

Ben.

alfamisa

FYI these are the black 18" wheels on the South African spec 159Ti that were sold after the Australian spec 159Ti had sold out and 2nd pic the silver 19" wheels on those;

I am certain these were not used on any other Alfa sold in Australia. There are several other turbine design wheels on the Giulietta but one which fits over the same larger Brembo calipers (see last two photos).

Giulietta QV 18" anthracite and diamond cut finish.

Giulietta SportivaQV 18" silver and diamond cut finish.

The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

rocklogic

I've never had any bad experiences with LD, and I'm not sure how their practices are 'shifty' - and I've bought a brand new car from them before.

I bought my current GQV elsewhere - but I'm keeping my servicing with these guys.

I hope that it gets sorted out for the OP. Please keep us posted!
2010 Alfa Romeo 147 2.0TS Rosso Red

past: 2000 Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed TS