Re:Alfasud Ti Qv 1983 radio

Started by herbyj, October 27, 2014, 06:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herbyj

Hi

I'm after an original radio/cassette (which I believe was a Pioneer) plus the electric aerial. The aerial is stuck up halfway so I would like to get one of those too but want to keep the car as original as possible.

Please PM me if you've got either item for sale.

Jonathan

colcol

I don't know who has one, but it was the same one fitted to Ford Fairlanes of the same era,  they were fitted when the Alfasud's were landed in Australia.
It broke down, so i took it to Pioneer in Boundary Road in Braeside, and the repair service guy, said, mmm Fairlane, we have had some problems with these, i said, no Alfasud, he said, there is a fix, with a new circuit that has 10 AM and 5 FM radio stations, to please the conservative tastes of 80 year old Fairlane drivers.
So jump on Ebay and search for early 80's Fairlanes being wrecked, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

herbyj

Thanks Colin.
is it the same unit that was used in early 33s?

Victor Lee

My '85 33 GCl had the 2 channel Eurovox.  The 33 TIs had the 4 channel Eurovox.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

colcol

The 33's had the 2 channel Eurovox's, as pointed out by Victor, if other 33 driver's had the experience's i had with them, they would be long gone, my TI had a 2 channel, but i replaced it with a 4 channel.
Most of the twin carb Suds i have seen have aftermarket units.
For absolute originality, you would have no radio cassete, as when imported to Australia, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

My '87 QV Sprint** had an Alfa Romeo radio/cassette in it. Even had Alfa Romeo on the cassette door.  Pretty sure it was stock as there were instructions in the manual on how to use it.  The GT Junior I bought back in August has the same unit fitted, brought back memories and i was quite surprised at how good it sounded.

** not a Sud obviously.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Victor Lee

Col, your 33 Ti came with a 2 channel?  A mate's '85 33 Ti came with the 4 channel...I remember being very jealous of it!  They came with the nice Alfa logo on the cassette flap.

I reckon I saw some radios of that era down at Monza Motors.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

colcol

They sounded good, but were always having to be repaired, Eurovox went broke about 10 years ago, didn't shed a tear.
I had a 4 channel in the 33, out of the Passat and the 2 channel out of the 33, then i did a swaparoo.
An Alfa Romeo wrecker may have an original twin carb Sud Pioneer, try calling Monza repairs and if that fails, Pinch A Part have lots of Radio Cassetes for $15 or so in the bargain bin, Colin.

Sportscar Nut

Jonathon

Also been on the hunt for an original Pioneer stereo with no luck so far! My understanding is that they did not have the Alfa cursive on the cassette 'flap' but like Col's suggestion that were also fitted to Fords. I found an original set of Pioneer square door speakers in the UK so wonder if the same units were fitted in most QV Suds globally???

Cheers
Paul

Craig_m67

The one in my Sprint was a Pioneer. Speakers in the door were Pioneer. Head unit had AlfaRomeo in cursive on the cassette door. I'll see if i can find a picture of it, car is in storage otherwise you could have it :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

herbyj

Hi
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.
The antenna on my car is broken so I think I'll get that fixed and see if the current radio, an old JVC radio/cassette, works without too much static.
If I can get it going I'll keep it otherwise I'll start the search for the original Pioneer unit.
Jonathan

amichie

Hi there

Mine has the original radio and it is Pioneer and has the Alfa Romeo print on the cassette door.

Andrew

herbyj

Thanks Andrew for the photo, that clears up the conjecture.

As I said above, I've got an old JVC unit in the car which looks ok and it's from the 80's but it's very crackly. I'm replacing the broken antenna and then I'll see how the current unit works.

If it doesn't come up I'll start looking for a Pioneer unit.

Jonathan

amichie

Hi Jonathon

Just for the record the sound of the Pioneer is not the greatest anyway.

Andrew

herbyj

Thanks again Andrew.
I wouldn't be putting the Pioneer, if I get one, in for the sound more for the look and the originality.
Jonathan