FS - Dion spherical bearings

Started by jazig.k, October 23, 2014, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazig.k

Hi guys,

recently made a small batch of dion bearing bits up.
I don't have pictures of the batch I've just made, nor are they assembled yet. I just need to get the bearings and circlips, press the lot together and pack with grease.

Pictures of the first few I made. One I fitted to my own 3Lt, one I sent to a Perth friend and the last one I have sitting at home assembled and waiting for something.

I actually drilled my dion in line with the grease groove and fitted a grease nipple so I can repack it while still fitted. Optional though.
They press fit into the Dion, so no extra machining required [like grooving the dion for circlip, as I understand some are fitted like this?].
All of them so far are made from 431 stainless steel.
They are made offset, so fit into the dion in one direction so you do away with the offset washer that the rubber bush has and the dion will sit centre of the cross member.

There is axial play in the bearing, no radial play. Part of the bearing design and unfortunately I can't get zero clearance bearings this small unless I have a batch made to order according to my local bearing place [$$$$]. It's minimal, but it's there. In my car, with stiff and low suspension I get a small clunk over harsh bumps, but I'm not sure if it's the bearing or not because my exhaust is rigid mounted to the body to tuck it up within 2mm of everything. Something I did at the same time I installed the bearing. Hold your iPhone 5 sideways, it doesn't fit under the lowest points.

I made a batch try and get some money together, in secret from my partner to buy her an engagement ring [Shared bank account, ex banker. Makes saving in secret near impossible when she sees every cent go in and out!]. I'm not running a business to compete, just to save some money. I feel $150AUD plus postage would be fair. I have one ready and waiting plus another 7 ready to be assembled and grease packed.

My email is zavier_orel@hotmail.com
Or PM me to discuss.

Credit to Duk, for his 'mud maps' thread. I'll owe him something if this works out.
Thanks guys.

jazig.k

Assembled these today, packed with grease and ready.

jazig.k

Last one just sold!

Thanks everyone! Give me a shout if there is ever any problems but I think everyone will be very pleased.

jazig.k

Hi everyone. Hopefully this can reach most people, if they open it.

I was made aware of a issue with the bearing fitting the early de-dion frame which takes a smaller 25mm deep bush rather than this 34mm deep design. Looking at Centreline Alfa this should only relate to 1975-1979 Alfetta, but a 1984 GTV was found to have the earlier dion frame fitted and a issue with the bush fitment was found. What this means is that in the past, if the dion was ever swapped out it may relate to you regardless of year.

The bearing can be machined to fit, no problem. It is only the length that differs, 25mm VS 34mm. 9mm needs to be removed from the length. Following the attached drawing [excuse the spelling mistake] it should be no issue for anyone with lathe access. If you don't have lathe access, get in touch with me and I will work out machining to make sure it fits, BUT you will need to check your car for the dion bearing requirements.

If anyone wishes to talk about it with me, my email is zavier_orel@hotmail.com