2009 Mito Sport Power steering issue / steering column - Bris mechanic?

Started by danai89, October 16, 2014, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danai89

Hi everyone,

Just picked up a 2009 mito sport in Brisbane and on my 2 hour drive home the power steering warning light came on and the steering got really heavy. (dash indicated that assisted steering is unavailable and to see a dealer)

Did some searching earlier on and everything shows that it might be the column sensors and that it needs to go to the dealer to have a full replacement?

Anybody has done this repair or exchange in your own garage at home? Any DIY guides etc?

And anybody that went with the refurbishment option from the uk?

Would be good to hear some thoughts on whether I am on the right problem and maybe some pointers on how to diagnose and confirm it exactly.

Also good to hear from some feedback/help in regards to undertaking the job oneself of fixing the problem.

Or if anybody is or knows of a good mechanic that has experience doing that job near the brisbane area, please let me know.

Muchly appreciated in advance.

On the other hand, any idea if this guide of the fiat grande punto will be the same for the mito?
http://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/344117-grande-punto-power-steering-column-replacement.html

danai89

my actual location would be warwick, 4370, near the morgan park racetrack, but i am willing to travel to brisbane etc.

Craig_m67

Looks like an easy but longish repair. However, given you can't order the correct part from the UK until it's out it's gonna be a bear.  Do you know if this is the exact issue, or is this your best google diagnosis (nothing wrong with that).  Might be worth bunging the VIN into ePer and seeing what part number is fitted to your car - you may get lucky with a 2nd hand part here in Aust. although it's likely to be more expensive than getting a reco or new one from OS

First thing first, I'd get any codes read to establish if there is a specific fault/part identified by the car.  Not sure if Automation here in Brissy can do this but I'd ask as they're very professional.  There may be a local who can do this too (?)

Did you buy the Mito from a dealer/car yard (they should fix it) or private?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

I would go to an Alfa Romeo Service Provider and get it hooked up to a scanner, to find out what the problem actually is, if it is a sensor, you might get away with just replacing the sensor, i wouldn't pull the steering column out until i know what the actual problem is.
It may shut down when a sensor goes bad, as it doesn't have any parameters of which to work.
The motor may have gone bad, just find out first.
Get a price for fixing, if you have the scanner tool on it, at a dealer.
It doesn't look to difficult to replace, just fiddly with lots of potential for clip and plastic breakage.
Getting a new one from the UK would be expensive freight wise.
Get a few quotes from local and overseas spare part places.
If it has broken down after a short life, it may have a design problem weakness and a new one may be an improved design, lucky i didn't say "check the fluid level", Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

danai89

thanks guys.

yes, pretty much all google analysis, seems to be a very common problem over in the UK. and unfortunately they say that the sensor is built into the column and hence the whole unit has to be replaced, as one is not able to just replace the sensor.

called automation in brisbane today, explained the problem and sent an email with vin as well, however the secretary did not get back to me. let's hope they will get in touch with me tomorrow...

Craig_m67

I suspect you're looking for this (or similar)
(I took a guess at a MiTo VIN ZAR95500001039876)

Part number: 50518132   
Description:  ELECTRIC POWER STEERING SHAFT

Famiglia: DC20 - ELECTRIC STEERING DRIVE SHAFT
Availability: Product that can be ordered   
Weight (grams):   1000   
Listed price(1):   1,009.69 GBP
Price including taxes:   1,211.63 GBP

Available NEW via Amazon of all places >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Electric-Steering-50526335-2011-2013/dp/B00KHVE9ZE

Or second hand on eBayUK

>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-MITO-GENUINE-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-COLUMN-PUMP-MOTOR-ECU-50520388-/111476895215?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19f48a6def
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)