116 ignition and air filter probs

Started by pafiat, October 11, 2014, 06:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pafiat

hi, I'm new to the forum having just purchased a 116 Giulietta. It's in very good condition but has some probs. Firstly it won't start. There does not appear to be any spartk. The coil seems OK, it runs in my Fiat OK. That leads me to suspect the ingnition module that is under the coil. Looks like something from Bosch. Is there any way to test it or where to buy a replacement?

The other problem is, I need to get the air filter box off the front of the carbs. I've undone all the bolts/nuts but it seems welded to the carbs. Any tricks to freeing it?

Rgds Pat

ALF750

Hi Pat,  there should be more knowledgeable people out there, but I'll try and help.

Have you checked the points in the distributor?   Unclip the dizzy cap and check they are opening, or get a timing light and check the dwell while turining the motor over with the starter motor.   I tend to think the ignition module is a rare failure.

The air filter/cover should just unclip from the cast alloy airbox that is attached to the carbs.   You shouldn't need to unbolt anything to get to the filter.   If you wan tto pulkl the carbs to service/clean them, then you must unbolt the alloy box.   There are 4(?) bolts that come through from the carb side and screw into the alloy airbox body, plus a support strut beneath the airbox.

Grab a Haynes manual or similar, they aren't complex cars and basic servicing isn't difficult - but they aren't a Holden!

pafiat

Got to the bottom of these issues. The alloy air filter box is held on by a combination of 8 bolts/studs,  and two bolts through the stabiliser arm. Two nuts are hidden by the fuel lines to the top of the carb, once I found those at came off easily.

The No-start issue was a bit more subtle. Turns out a radio suppression capacitor that was hooked across the coil was faulty. Disconnected it and away it went.

ALF750

good to hear - always start with the simplestuff!