CAMS Organisational Blueprint Released

Started by Scott Farquharson, April 18, 2008, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

In the most significant review of CAMS in over a decade, CAMS has released the results of the recent organisational review.  This will result in significant change in the way we deal with CAMS - an overview of the findings are below and the proposed new structure is contained in the link below.

http://www.cams.com.au/downloads/articles/Outline_of_key_Board_positions.pdf

Overview
Following an extensive organisational review conducted by Ernst & Young, the CAMS Board has developed its blueprint for the future, having regard for the Ernst & Young findings. This blueprint has recently been communicated to members and interested parties with the President and CEO of CAMS undertaking a series of road shows across Australia.

Organisational Review Background:

The outcome of the Board's position has been subject to consultation with key leaders from across the organisation, including a full day workshop of State Council and National Commission Chairs and the Board held late last month.

The Board's blueprint is about laying the foundation for the future of the organisation and the achievement of its new strategic direction. The feedback from those that have already had the opportunity to see the proposal is that, it makes a lot of sense; is nothing that wasn't expected from such a review; and it is obvious the Board have put a lot of thought into it.

A heavy and increased emphasis has been placed on sport & club development, opening up communication lines, removing bureaucracy, streamlining decision making, engaging stakeholders, providing enhanced customer service/access to service delivery, recognising the grass-roots level of the sport, volunteerism and establishing a contemporary governance structure. (lets hope this is true - Scott)

The Board recognises the implementation of the outcomes will mean significant change and won't be easy, but with a concerted and unified effort by all members of CAMS, believes the change is achievable and will position the organisation and sport well for the future.

The Board also recognises the need to gain the support of the members on certain aspects of the review and the road shows were the first step in the consultation process.

It also recognises its leadership role in this process and the need for it to make tough decisions in the best interest of the organisation. It is unified in its support for the proposals about to be put forward as a consequence of this review.

As in any review there is always an operational imperative to move quickly to fill key positions to maintain service delivery to our clubs, members and key stakeholders and the Board is insistent these should be aligned to the new organisation. The CEO has been empowered to progress this issue.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

branko.gt

I read the document from the link and was left wondering how much effort did it take to write something that actually does not say anything.

There is no explanation why is the restructure required and how will it improve anything. All the motherhood statements in the document are apparently in no way related to the business at hand of restructuring CAMS. Such volume of statements of good intentions without any obvious relationship to the proposed changes makes me wonder if it is trying to cover up something that we are not supposed to know? On the other hand we are talking CAMS, it would take much greater competence for a good conspiracy.

The document does not explain the new voting structure. It does away with state councils without explaining how will that improve the grassroots sports. without any more information about actual reasoning for the individual changes and actuall benefits expected with direct links to the changes i remain sceptical.

I am also curious as to what was the actual brief for the report. This is not mentioned anywhere.

Scott Farquharson

The whole review has been a concern - very little has been said about this review and it has very little (zero) input from the key stakeholders (the clubs) has been sought.  It has been very secretive and has done little to give us any confidence that it will in fact address the major issues - it hasn't even defined the issues!

What is worrying is that it may be setting us up for most of the power to be shifted to the CAMS Executive and disinfranchise the Clubs, the actual owners of CAMS. 

Despite the health and demand for participation motorsport, we have serious problems and a distinct lack of leadership, honesty and transparency from our peak body.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

Guys, I think you are possibly being a bit harsh.  CAMS employed the services of Ernst & Young specifically to get an independent view of the organisation, they gave them free reign and told them to report back on what they found.  I am not surprised that we (or any other clubs) were not consulted given the usually very strong views of CAMS members (positive or otherwise) which could hardly be called independant, I also understand why a lot of the detail has been kept under the rug, a lot of the info that Ernst & Young would have been privy to in this process would be proprietary information and not necessarily for the general publics viewing.

I think what we need to look at is what the proposal for the future is....they are employing specific people for specific roles, a handful of which are to concentrate on Grass Roots Motorsport (Senior Manager, Sport & Club Development and also Sport & Club Development Officers (VIC, NSW and SA)).  Whether or not this filters down to help us out remains to be seen, but I would like to think it will.....then again perhaps I am just the eternal optimist!  CAMS have also indicated that they are flexible in the implementation of this change, and if something clearly isn't working then it can be massaged into a workable solution.

The interesting line I found was this one "The second and equally important step is to progress a closer relationship with other motorsport organisations (including those CAMS delegated bodies) to explore potential opportunities and synergies."  So are they really looking at trying to work with AASA in the future or am I reading this wrong?
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

The problem I have is that Ernst and Young did not consult with enough key stakeholders to understand the issues, so how can they have a solution?  Interestingly the paper and overview is not the Ernst and Young report but CAMS' response and position to the report.  The E&Y report will not be released. I have to admit I am very cynical - atm it looks like nothing more than grabbing more executive power rather than removing buracracy and improving transparency.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)