Pics of any Alfetta Gt's owned by members out there?

Started by Italian Supermodel, September 15, 2014, 03:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Newby

Here is a picture of my 1975 Alfetta Gt Group S race car which I have owned since 1998. The picture was taken at Wakefield Park in 2002 and it seems to have been used as a stock photo around the globe.. ::)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Mike

The latest GT in the collection....bit far gone, but has all the spares I was looking for which is rather handy....like a set of GT door cards with no speaker holes!  Could not believe it when I saw it.  Sing out if people need certain GT bits, happy to help where I can.  Wont want money other than postage....so long as it goes to a GT.

Long may they live :-)
cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Mike

Here's one for the GT owners out there.  Today I looked at my Silver GT and Blue GT and noted a couple of interesting things:

Blue 6/76 116 GT - 25xx build number (sorry don't recal last two digits buy you will get the idea)
Alfa Romeo Australia
Silver GT 5/76 - 32xx build number
Alfa Romeo Milan

According to the Department of infrastructure, The second issue of ADR's came into play in 1/Jan/1969, but were not governed by Aus law, but rather selectively adopted by each state and territory.  Prior to this, they were issued as a discussion paper and neither adopted at State nor national level.
They were subsequently made part of the national standards by Determination No 2 of 1989 published by the Commonwealth Government Gazette (Special Gazette series) No S 291 dated 1 September 1989.

OK, soooo...why are is my earlier (by one month) GT a later number build, and a Milano plate rather than a Australia plate?  Surely build date and build number should be in order?!

So another tid bit that I was not actually aware of is, the blue GT has a very light bonnet.  The silver GT (one month earlier) has a very heavy bonnet.  I am going to measure gauge tomorrow, but the wieght is significantly different and I suspect that GT's has lower gauge bonnet panels.  I knew they did not have intrusion bars in the doors, but I was not aware of the bonnets being lighter......that bonnet is going striaght on the race car!! 
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Cool Jesus

Here's mine at the ICU, progress is slow but soon to change. This is one of the very few that came out to Oz with the SPICA injection from the American market.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

LukeC

Another Afetta GTAm. Factory 2.0 with Spica and large capacity GTV6 like fuel tank.

Ex Canberra (I worked on this years ago). I tried to track it down a couple of times, but now it has resurfaced I have my hands  and shed space full.

This deserves a good home and restoration!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1976-Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-GTAM-Bathurst-Homologation-car-RARE-/121459655627?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item1c478f43cb
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: LukeC on October 20, 2014, 11:54:38 AM
Another Afetta GTAm. Factory 2.0 with Spica and large capacity GTV6 like fuel tank.

"Bathurst Homogenisation" snicker. Bathurst has definitely been homogenised since 1976.

Agreed it should be saved though.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Paul Newby

Quote from: Mike on October 18, 2014, 10:33:49 PM
Here's one for the GT owners out there.  Today I looked at my Silver GT and Blue GT and noted a couple of interesting things:

Blue 6/76 116 GT - 25xx build number (sorry don't recal last two digits buy you will get the idea)
Alfa Romeo Australia
Silver GT 5/76 - 32xx build number
Alfa Romeo Milan

According to the Department of infrastructure, The second issue of ADR's came into play in 1/Jan/1969, but were not governed by Aus law, but rather selectively adopted by each state and territory.  Prior to this, they were issued as a discussion paper and neither adopted at State nor national level.
They were subsequently made part of the national standards by Determination No 2 of 1989 published by the Commonwealth Government Gazette (Special Gazette series) No S 291 dated 1 September 1989.

OK, soooo...why are is my earlier (by one month) GT a later number build, and a Milano plate rather than a Australia plate?  Surely build date and build number should be in order?!

So another tid bit that I was not actually aware of is, the blue GT has a very light bonnet.  The silver GT (one month earlier) has a very heavy bonnet.  I am going to measure gauge tomorrow, but the wieght is significantly different and I suspect that GT's has lower gauge bonnet panels.  I knew they did not have intrusion bars in the doors, but I was not aware of the bonnets being lighter......that bonnet is going striaght on the race car!!

The chassis numbers on the later GTs are all over the place. Anything before chassis 2000 should be a 75 GT 1800 with Webers, 10548 cams and 122 hp "S" prefixed engine and the 76 GT 1.8 (to differentiate it from the 1.6) has Dell'ortos, 10520 cams and "X" prefixed engine. But there are low chassis number for the GTAMs which are all 6/76 compliance, so go figure....  ::)

I suspect that your silver GT maybe an English or South African delivery if it doesn't have the Australian compliance plate - check the chassis number with Alfa Romeo's Archivio Storico to see where your car was delivered.

Looking at the photo of your silver GT I can see that it has two washer nozzles whereas mine (a 75 GT) only has one. I'm not sure when they changed over to two washer nozzles (76 GTs or 77 GTVs) but it is a known fact that the GTs are about 30kg lighter than the later GTV and I suspect that they made some body improvements(?) to the GTV that added weight.... :)

GR-124

Quote from: Paul Newby on October 17, 2014, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: GR-124 on September 15, 2014, 10:13:30 PM
Here's a photo of mine when I grabbed it two years ago. Work in progress, I have started some rust work for a respray, and buying the bits to get it on the road.
Hey Neil, yours is nice

Hi GR-124. A Giallo Piper Alfetta GT - a rare find. I have a feeling I roadtested this car around the time I was looking for mine - probably 1998-99. From recollection, the car in question lived on the South Coast but the owner bought it up to Sydney (I think his sister lived in Hornsby) and he had it for sale at Berowra. I took it for a test drive down the Old Pacific Highway - it drove well. I think from memory he was asking about $7K, which was a lot back then, and too much considering I was going to turn my car into a race car (will post a pic in separate post.)

Whatever you do, don't change the colour. There wouldn't be too many left in that hue.

Hi Paul, I picked it up in Wollongong. After some sleepless nights I have decided to restore and keep original. My wife hates the colour but likes the car (better than my Fiat 124). I will keep the colour, I like it. The guy that had it was looking at racing it and cut out the battery tray, so it could be boot mounted, that's about the only mod on it. Looking forward to getting a good start on it. Other things in life getting in the way ATM. But it will happen. :)

Mike

Good advice, I have sent off to Alfa Romeo's Archivio Storico for clarification.  Will be interesting.  My turbodelta also has a Aus ADR plate, I know that to have been sold in Aus.

I had a white 75 GT which had the single windscreen nozzle.  This was also the case with the early 1.8 sedans of the same vintage. 

I am aware of the GT's weight loss, most notably being the exclusion of side intrusion bars, which did not come in till later.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

"According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 116.11.0003205 and the engine number AR 01608.X26031 originally correspond to an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT 1800 RHD, manufactured on the 30th April 1976 and sold on the same day to Alfa Romeo Australia.

The body colour is metallic light grey, with black tex interiors. "

So I still have the original 1.8Liter engine which is nice.  It also was Aus delivered, but still with Alfa Romeo Australia plate.

Interesting.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

aggie57

Also,one of the later GT's built isn't it mike?  Didn't the GTV come along mid-1976?
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Mike

I think you might be right on that, would explain why my GT got the GTV steel bumper lower front panel.  I have seen 77 GTV's but not a 76 personally.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

aggie57

Quote from: Mike on October 23, 2014, 03:16:55 AM
I think you might be right on that, would explain why my GT got the GTV steel bumper lower front panel.  I have seen 77 GTV's but not a 76 personally.

Maybe that's a replacement panel? Its such a fragile piece of metal isn't it, and those slots make it even weaker.  There were certainly 76 GTV's sold in the UK along with 1.6 GT's.  I
Mind you most of them had rusted away by the early eighties....
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Paul Newby

Quote from: Mike on October 23, 2014, 03:16:55 AM

All GTs should have the solid front panel, I don't believe that the ventilated panel was a running change on GTs.

You will notice that all Australian delivered GTs have Compliance Plates no later than 6/76. That is because the ADR27A emisions regulations kicked in on 1 July 76, which required major changes to carburettor set-up.

I suspect that Alfa Romeo Australia let the GTs run out until the end of 1976 before introducing the Alfetta GTV 2000 in early 1977. You won't find any Aussie delivered 76 GTVs here.

GR-124

All GTs should have the solid front panel, I don't believe that the ventilated panel was a running change on GTs.

You will notice that all Australian delivered GTs have Compliance Plates no later than 6/76.
[/quote]

Paul,
mine's a 6/76 GT, with 01608 engine number, so I guess its an 1779cc. BUT it has the slots in the body steel between the bumper and the plastic grill. From the look i had around today I can not see any evidence of a prang therefore i don't think it's a replacement panel?? so could it be original?