Help! 159 SW 2.2 SS Power Steering Hoses/Pipes

Started by samboychips, September 05, 2014, 11:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samboychips

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired an Alfa 159, immediately fall in love with it. Long story short, not long ago it was diagnosed with a hose/pipe of the power steering had burst and leaking fluid. A trusted mechanic of mine suggested replaceing both hoses (which I also believe necessary). He then called up the official Alfa dealership for parts quotation and was given a ridiculously expensive quote ~AU$1300 for the pair (parts only). I said to myself there is no way in hell its costing me an arm, so I turn to my best friend Google. Surprisingly I could barely find anything useful at all. I even found Fiat ePer which is highly recommended by many and of course there is ebay and various independent eshops.

The problem I'm now facing is I have no clue on the parts numbers nor I could find any repair guide for referencing. So please for those who are reading this, please help. Any guidance pointing me to the right direction would be very much appreciate. Here is some info about the task:

2007 Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 Selespeed RHD
Steering fluid reservoir is fine but I will replace it anyway.
Steering rack is confirm healthy.
Steering pump is also fine, not for long unless i replace the hoses,
I'm also prepare to replace all other relating rubber hoses a clamps.
One more thing I'm not in OZ, I'm in Hong Kong and there is only ONE dealership, they are licensed to rob.
I'm looking for a place that I could place an order for all the correct parts I need and could do international shipping.
If not, I wish someone could point me to a direction where I could identify parts number for the quest of searching.

Once again greatly appreciated and have a nice day to you all.

Neil Choi

Isn't there an Alfa mechanic called Albert or something in HK, in the outer area.  Memory is vague.  He does Alfa's of course and other Europeans.

I believe the other HK Alfisti's know him and uses his experience.

TheVsixer

Hi, I had a similar problem with power steering 3 times at all. Alway it were hoses, luckily those without fittings. Once it was a small hole, then twice the other hoses get unplugged. This was caused by deformation of the hose in place where is the hose clamp.

Parts numbers you can find with online fiat ePer (electronic spare parts catalogue, search on the internet)

When you find out which hoses you going to replace I advise two options.
First: when will be the hoses with fittings, try to take them to some pressure hoses repair shop. It will cost less.
Second: when will be the "simple" hoses with hose clamps, go to the nearest pressure hoses shop buy a few meters and get the new hose clamps.

I hope this will somehow help you.
Good luck :)
Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 24V, BluCosmo, 18" Mille Miglia, XYZ Supersport Coilovers, Tarox G88 front discs, AMA Exhaust Systems Tail Section

Neil Choi

Here you go, will this help?

Albert at Alfa Passion in Sai Kung, 9756 0442

colcol

If you ever need power steering hoses replacing, and you can pull them out yourself, try ebay or an Alfa Romeo Independant, or go to Pirtek or Enzed hose fittings, who can usually make them up on the spot.
There are 2 hoses to the power steering rack, low pressure scavenge and high pressure, the high pressures need to be crimped with high pressure hose, but the low pressure can use hose clamps and power steering compatible hoses.
Why do dealers continuously shoot themselves in the foot by charging ridiculous prices, when you can just go to a hose doctor and get them made up, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kaleuclint

Wing Hang Motor Car Service, 8 Kat On Street, Wan Chai

Col is right though, hoses are fairly generic in nature.  Goodridge steel braided hoses always popular and in this instance likely to be cheaper. 
2011 159ti 1750TBi