'73 1600 GTJunior

Started by Craig_m67, August 21, 2014, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

For context, here's the outside of the car.

It was an impulse buy during the Qld school holidays. I always wanted a coupe (a Scaliano) but it was cheap and allegedly sound.  With the excuse of visiting cousins and a big sister, I flew my son and I down to Sydney and surprised him with it at the airport.. We had a great road-trip holiday, catching up with cousins, daughters and driving home up the coast slowly exploring all the bays etc.. The car ran faultlessly back to Brisbane without any issues whatsoever. I was really quite surprised (annoyed *L*) as I didn't have to leverage plan B (breakdown and recovery).

The GTA reps are off my Duetto.

The doors are a slightly different colour to the body as they were repainted after some rust repairs (*L*) a few years back. I have no idea what the paint code is, it's a metallic red, growing on me but a 10ft paint job with some runs etc., not sure if it's clear over base or not (suspect so). I haven't tried to colour sand it. The door hinges were loose hence the poor fit, I need to find two hinge screws if anybody has spares... 

If anybody knows the car, please feel free to get in out touch, privately if you want.
It would be nice to know a bit about her history. 

The engine/gearbox etc are exceptional and it'd be interesting to know who/when etc they were rebuilt, it's the quietest 1600 and gearbox I've ever driven, no crunch!  It has yellow konis all round and a completely new exhaust. Driveshaft has been off recently too, there are clean marks showing alignment.  I doubt this car has done very many k's since it was recommisioned. It managed less than 300ks since it's NSW roadworthy in 2012. I've since put on about 1500.

The only mechanical thing to go wrong so far was the starter motor. So I had it completely rebuilt.

At the same time I took the opportunity to clean (spray degreaser on) the carbs and repaint the airbox.  The engine and g'box on this car is completely clean, no oil or water leaks anywhere. It's been rebuilt recently. Did I mention no second gear crunch!

I need to paint that coil, let's everything down.

Last week, planning ahead for queensland roadworthy, I had the front screen replaced. The original had some deep scratches from the wipers and wouldn't have passed inspection.  Was quite surprised to find paint and no rust or bog or crap inside the frame. The fitter was in and out in an hour and paid particular attention to ensuring the trim was saved and refitted neatly without damage, thank you O'Briens glass

Mr Fazio tells me (the front half should be) AR727 Light Metallic Silver. The metallic red is growing on me though. There are a few rust bubbles limited to the front sills and rear boot frame forming but nothing around the windows (yet). No perforation anywhere 'outside' as yet.

Would be nice to just get her registered so I can drive her
I should really persevere, it's a nice car.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

LaStregaNera

Craig, have a look in the channel for the boot lid about 6-8" left of centre below the rear window - there will be a second chassis stamping - hopefully it matches the firewall!
If you want someone to poke around it and see what you've got, let me know...
I assume you won't have it back together for Cars and Coffee this weekend?
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

ItalCarGuy

forgot about the boot channel stamping! If it says 10504 or 10537 then it is definitely the rear off a stepfront.

C&C this weekend? damn, another one I will miss in the Super. It runs but not ready for a cross city jaunt yet!

Craig_m67

Today's update is brought to you by the letter D

Dremeling delicious dubious droppings with demonstrably draconian deliberation.

The dodgy floor patch begat

Some confused tunnel vision which had

hidden treasures with bad weldy droppings on rusty crusty steel

Which just peeled off, now exorcised and shiny

That's the first time that (new)rubber handbrake boot has been able to fit.

I'm open to origami welding suggestions for tomorrow :)

Indeed any comments or suggestions from any of you who have patched up these beauties before on a budget or professionally would be appreciated.  If it's not obvious, I'm firmly making this up :)  Good practise before I attack the Duetto I guess.

Craig_m67

Quote from: LaStregaNera on August 26, 2014, 08:08:03 AM
I assume you won't have it back together for Cars and Coffee this weekend?

Is this a challenge?? :)

LaStregaNera

Turns out it's next weekend - you've got an extra weekend to get it together :P
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 26, 2014, 02:32:16 PM
Dremeling

Indeed any comments or suggestions from any of you who have patched up these beauties before on a budget or professionally would be appreciated.  If it's not obvious, I'm firmly making this up :)  Good practise before I attack the Duetto I guess.

Air tools :)
Die grinder with a nice carbide burr, and a 3" cutoff grinder are super handy.
As is a nice big brass/copper/aluminium block to use as a heatsink if you find a thin bit and start blowing through alot.
Buy lots of cheap vice grips!

That last photo - have they lap jointed two tunnels together??
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Craig_m67

Quote from: LaStregaNera on August 26, 2014, 04:08:26 PM
Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 26, 2014, 02:32:16 PM
Dremeling

Air tools :)
Die grinder with a nice carbide burr, and a 3" cutoff grinder are super handy.
As is a nice big brass/copper/aluminium block to use as a heatsink if you find a thin bit and start blowing through alot.
Buy lots of cheap vice grips!

That last photo - have they lap jointed two tunnels together??

Cheers, got most of that. Buying tools is not really an issue, talent and experience is limited though :)

I used the Dremel as I wanted to unpick slowly. The floor on the other side will be chopped out in seconds now that I know what I'm dealing with (yes, the other side is just as bad).

Yes, they have lap jointed the two tunnels over each other.  The tunnel from the rear goes over the tunnel from the front. It's lap welded right behind where the handbrake mechanism bolts to the original front tunnel, you can see the weld running up and over.  It must have been lap welded underneath about 10cm short of the kick panel, in line with the handbrake cable adjuster, you can see the weld coming through the tunnel at the back.

After a cup of tea and a good lay down, I think I will:

1. Butt weld a patch into the square hole i've made to cut out rust and birdshit welds
2. Peen down the horizontal cut i've made in the 'top' tunnel onto the lower and lap weld it together
3. Hammer and dolly a sensible shape to it all
4. Replace the floor (got two new rear ones) as per factory, may have to patch the kick panel corner
5. Replace the L shaped bracket with a longer thicker stronger version that can tie all that together

Anybody see anything wrong with this idea ?

.... or perhaps somebody has a spare coupe tunnel laying around brisbane (or surrounds) I can cleanup an just rosette (spot) weld in as per the factory? - Actually, this would be my preferred option. Then only the sills will be 'joined' incorrectly for a bit. If you've got one (donor car) let me know and I'll bring my grinder.

Colin Byrne

My preferred option would be to track down a tunnel from somewhere, I can''t imagine it would be to hard to get hold of one, it's probably the last part left in wreck! and when do you ever need to replace one?

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Craig_m67

Got a lead on a tunnel  8)

Out of interest, what are people's reactions/thoughts to finding out about by car like this.
Will it ever have any value again or is it forever doomed to be a dodgy cut and shut?

Colin Byrne

QuoteWill it ever have any value again

Roll Cage....Tarmac rally car!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

LaStregaNera

Cut your losses, buy a set of 13x8"s and some GTAm guards :P
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Craig_m67

I'd be happy to cut my losses.
If anybody wants this - CHEAP - I'd be more than happy to get it off my drive.
Make me an offer (although I'm keeping the GTA reps.)

I'll be moving house soon and I don't need two projects (any projects really).
Picked up that bootlid on gumtree this morning, quite nice, very, very little rust in the lower frame I can see, thanks Rod.

If anybody has a shed in SEQld I can rent some storage in for 12mths min. let me know.
I don't need access during this period, just a dry spot.

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 28, 2014, 02:08:05 PM
I'd be happy to cut my losses.
If anybody wants this - CHEAP - I'd be more than happy to get it off my drive.
Make me an offer (although I'm keeping the GTA reps.)

I'll be moving house soon and I don't need two projects (any projects really).
Picked up that bootlid on gumtree this morning, quite nice, very, very little rust in the lower frame I can see, thanks Rod.

If anybody has a shed in SEQld I can rent some storage in for 12mths min. let me know.
I don't need access during this period, just a dry spot.

I *know* my wife would kill me if I put my hand up for it!
If you want a hand welding a floor/tunnel back in it, let me know - you'll want out of it less once it's driveable and fun again.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Craig_m67

Alrighty Heidi,

Good old (1750) transmission tunnel sourced and half cut out for collection tomorrow. Will clean it up during the week and see how badly it's rusted out in the rear corners.  Then decide if it's worth cutting it in correctly and disturbing the front floors, I'm not convinced personally.