'73 1600 GTJunior

Started by Craig_m67, August 21, 2014, 04:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

I should probably start another build thread for this car ('73 1600 GT Junior). I bought it so I could have something to drive while I restored the Duetto (first mistake). Whilst the driveline/engine etc are quite amazing there was some horrible rust in the rear floors (fronts spotless, go figure)

In anycase, please humour me with this diversion... who can tell me what's going on here?!

It's the transmission tunnel, just behind the handbrake on the RH rear floor. There used to be an L shaped bracket spot welded to the transmission tunnel and the floor (above the seat belt mount etc). The floor has come out for complete replacement as it was very toasty.

My question is the transmission tunnel. On the Duetto the transmission tunnel aft of the gearbox is a single upside down U shaped piece that everything else (floors, flanges, etc) weld too.. In this car however it looks like there are two pieces sheathed together here, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Anybody seen this before and or better still have pics which show what it should look like. I don't quite understand what I'm about to unpick.. Never wise.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Colin Byrne

bit hard to tell from the photo's but i think you might be getting confused as there is a right angle strengthening plate in that area to help out the floor where the seat belt mount is. hopefully this photo will help, its of the passenger side as I've already removed it from the drivers side of my shell but its exactly the same in each side

hope that helps
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Craig_m67

Chees Colin,

No, it's not that. I removed that piece in full to get a look at what was going on underneath.  The rear floor had a massive patch running from one side to the other that had just been plated over the old floor. I think I'm looking at either bits of the patch or what's left of the transmission tunnel.

Can anybody confirm my belief that the tunnel is one piece in this area?

And the floor as I found it  :-\

Completely (mostly) removed now up to the cross member

Colin Byrne

Very odd, The tunnel should just be one piece, looks like what has happened is someone has jammed a repair patch up between a split  in the original tunnel panel?
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

LaStregaNera

Just keep cuttin - cut your way in, weld your way out :P
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Craig_m67

Sun was out so a little bit more digging around today.

I believe this car (GT Junior) is two cars and has been cut and shut.  Whilst this doesn't really phase me given how much repair work these cars can get, it wasn't something I was expecting to correct. I should have checked the car in person instead of relying on the honesty of the PO when asked specifically about any rust or obvious issues (that were carefully photographed around). Buyer beware, caveat emptor, my fault.

I'm told this is a low arch rear end and as such, wrong?

Life's just a bit too difficult at the moment.
I'm not sure if I want to continue.

If it is a low arch maybe I can put on a step front nose without upsetting too many people*L*

pancho

Yes, it's wrong for that model to have low arches. Personally if you're not caring about originality I'd convert it to a stepnose/GTA rep.

The easiest way to check if it's just the guards OR a whole rear end welded on, get into the boot and run your eye/hands up around the C pillar badge area from the inside - if you can see/feel welds in that area then it's merely had the arches put on. if you feel nothing then it's a cut and shut job.

Reason is that it's near impossible to get to that area to grind the welds down. i have no idea how they did it at the factory but with factory cars you can't really feel the welds in this area.

Craig_m67

I think it's been cut and shut through the sills, see the pic below for the weld line just in front of the the seatbelt mount.  It would also explain the sheathing and welding on the transmission tunnel.

I had planned to repair the rear floors as per factory and later the outer and middle sills. I'm not too concerned about it structurally, however I am a bit deflated.

What's the shopping list for a step front end and how is it different structurally?
I imagine it's the jewellery that costs the most.

If anybody would like this body sans driveline CHEAP let me know.
Or perhaps I should just continue and fix it, then paint it two colours *L*

Craig_m67

Okay, so the transmission tunnel is definitely two sheathed together. The tunnel from the rear is over the front up to the very end of the handbrake. The welding is quite neat at both ends. Looks like the rear was silver too, or this was done very early in its life as the sound deadening material I've chipped off the rear was all original silver. I suspect they have done it this way so as not to disturb the seat belt mount strengthening piece which was on the tunnel.

I should probably start a thread for this car all on its own.. Anybody interested?

Brad M

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 25, 2014, 01:43:49 PM
I should probably start a thread for this car all on its own.. Anybody interested?

Yes. I'm interested in where you go with the junior.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Craig_m67

Quote from: Brad M on August 25, 2014, 02:00:44 PM
Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 25, 2014, 01:43:49 PM

Yes. I'm interested in where you go with the junior.

Cool, I don't suppose you can excise everything after post #61 here and start a new tread entitled '73 1600 GTJunior ? Or should I start the thread and then you move the posts?

Brad M

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 25, 2014, 02:11:03 PM
Cool, I don't suppose you can excise everything after post #61 here and start a new tread entitled '73 1600 GTJunior ? Or should I start the thread and then you move the posts?

I think that does the job...
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Craig_m67

Thank you
I just off to buy some chocolate and beer for a while.

werdna

Craig,
Thats bloody devastating to find. I wish I could help out in some way.
At least the job doesnt look too dodgy. Was/is it a common thing to join two 105's together?

The guy on petrolicious bought one with a similar job done to yours (I think his was a not as well executed though).

Just found the link:
http://www.petrolicious.com/ten-dirty-secrets-of-ludovica 

All the best,
Andrew

Ash Gordon

I looked at buying one from a forum member a while back after he copped a rear shunt. Engine T/Spark was sold and I was going to buy the rolling shell but the engine buyer fell through so he decided to get it back on the road.

Pretty sure it was series two front and series one rear cut, not sure where it was joined though.   
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)